Coconut & maple syrup apple porridge (or oatmeal) with cinnamon is an ideal winter breakfast.
I find my winter morning bowl of oatmeal, or porridge as we usually call in the UK, both comforting and warming and just what I need for the day ahead. Standing for a few minutes stirring the pot gives me time to think, collect my thoughts and set my priorities for the day.
This apple cinnamon porridge contains double helping of apple, some grated into, and cooked with the cinnamon oatmeal, then the porridge is topped with slices of apple which have been fried in coconut oil then glazed with maple syrup. Delicious, comforting and a step towards your 5 a day. The sticky slices of coconut maple apple are so good that you might want to make a double batch and snack on them throughout the morning.
Coconut & Maple Apple Porridge (or Oatmeal) with Cinnamon
- 80 g jumbo porridge oats
- 300 ml water
- 250 ml milk of your choice - I use coconut milk drink
- 2 apples - 1 grated (1 cored and sliced into 8 segments)
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- In a saucepan, add the water, milk, porridge oats and grated apple and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for six to seven minutes stirring from time to time. Let stand for a minute before serving.
- Melt the coconut oil in a frying pan, add the apple slices and fry for a minute.
- Add the maple syrup and fry until golden brown and sticky.
- Serve with apple slices, and a sprinkling of chia seeds on top of the porridge and enjoy.
The coconut maple apple slices were inspired by a dinner hosted by We Love Maple at the Canadian High Commission to celebrate Canadian Maple Syrup, where we were served a variety of dishes flavoured with maple
Maple Syrup Facts
- It takes 40 litres of sap from a maple tree to make 1 litre of syrup
- The harvest is in the spring, between early March, and late April
- The tree is “tapped” by drilling a hole in it, then the sap is collected – these days most maple houses will use tubing and a pump to transport the sap
- Canada produces 71% of the worlds maple syrup (90% of which is from Quebec)
- It is completely natural
- To replace sugar with maple sugar in a recipe, substitute 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup of maple syrup AND remove another 1/4 cup of liquid
Maple Menu Inspiration from the Maple Syrup Dinner
- Maple gazed belly of pork, with seared scallops & a maple and Granny Smith apple dressing
- Maple roasted loin of Highland venison with braised red cabbage, kale and aligot potatoes
- Blackberry doughnuts with a maple glaze and vanilla creme anglaise
My recipe for Coconut & Maple Apple Porridge (or Oatmeal) with Cinnamon was inspired by the maple dinner which I was a guest at.
Delicious flavours Helen, the apple slices look so good I would definitely make more to snack on as you suggested as well.
We loved the apple slices. So so good!
You know, given how much I like porridge and how well it keeps me going, i really ought to make it more often!
Make it in a jam jar in the slow cooker overnight! Instant grab and go porridge for the morning.
I love oatmeal, but can’t believe I hadn’t thought to use the coconut milk and tablespoon of coconut oil that my trainer is suggesting every morning. The facts about maple syrup were so interesting… I always thought Vermont was the biggest North American producer…. interesting!
I love my oatmeal with a spoon of coconut oil in it too, it is so delicious!
This looks delicious.. definitely a breakfast worth getting up for rain or shine
I always look forward to breakfast!
Oh yum what a fabulous combination of flavours. Sorely tempted even though it’s dinner time. Stumbled, pinned and yummed!
It would make a splendid dinner Jac!
Annie @ Annie's Noms
This is beautiful! What a wonderful flavour combination. I’m obsessed with porridge for breakfast, need to make this soon!
I love porridge, such a comforting, easy, adaptable breakfast.
April @ Girl Gone Gourmet
Always need new ideas to dress up oatmeal — this looks like a bowl of sunshine!
that is such a good description! A bowl of sunshine.
Healthy and delicious! This porridge is perfect to have a great start of the day, love it!
thanks. It does set you up for the day!
Simone | In Simone's Kitchen
I love my oatmeal in the morning and this one has all my favorite flavors in there; cinnamon, coconut and apple! I sometimes make a version that is almost like an apple pie. Too good ! Will try this version soon!
Apple pie oatmeal sounds super good!
I love adding maple syrup to my porridge :)
It is so delicious!
David @ Cooking Chat
I like starting the cold days with oatmeal, too. Looks like a tasty version!
I love a good bowl of porridge in the winter. Sets me up for the day!