This creamy spiced Overnight Carrot Cake Oats gently cooks in the slow cooker in a jar. Ready when you are in the morning to grab and go!
However much I am trying to deny it, it is now officially autumn. There is only so much burying one’s head in the sand you can do about the changing seasons, so in a surrender to the speed at which the year is passing, my wardrobe has been rearranged, tees and short sleeved tops relegated to the top shelf and warmer long sleeved tops and roll necks are within easy reach.
The summer duvet has taken its annual trip to the dry cleaners and at night time we are snuggled under a warmer one topped with a quilt. It is not quite time for the super thick and snuggly duvet and the electric blanket, but I am sure it will only be a couple of weeks. Talking of electric blankets, we are treating ourselves to a dual control model so we can both be in charge and be as warm, or as cool as we like! I am really rather looking forward to this, Ed runs warmer than I do, so we’ll both have our half of the bed at the perfect temperature and hopefully have a more restful night.
As it gets cooler I am switching from my usual smoothie to a hot breakfast and my current favourite is a slow cooker overnight oatmeal cooked in a jar. They take about two minutes to prep the night before, then will gently cook all night, resulting in thick, creamy, comforting oatmeal which is like a hug in a morning. Clean up is a breeze too – the jars go through the dishwasher, and the slow cooker bowl needs a quick rinse and its done.
The jars are perfect for a grab and go fuss free breakfast – either decant into a small flask or insulated coffee mug, or wrap in a tea towel for children to have in the car on the school run.
This version is carrot cake flavoured, and in an effort to make these just a little bit healthier each portion contains half a small carrot and a little dried fruit – I try and go easy on the dried fruit as it contains so much sugar – the long slow cooking makes them plump and tender with them sweetening all of the porridge, so you really need a tiny amount.
The first couple of times you make this you are going to have to check how your slow cooker behaves, mine is a 160-190Watt model and holds a steady temperature of just over 60C on the warm setting, others will be hotter or cooler.
- If your slow cooker runs hotter then try filling it with cold water and add a little more milk to the jars of porridge.
- If your slow cooker is cooler then try cooking on low, rather than than keep warm, and experiment with filling it with cold, warm or hot water.
Overnight Slow Cooker Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 2/3 cup Oatmeal (I use a mix of pinhead and rolled oats)
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Raisins
- 2 tsp Dried apricots - chopped
- 1 small Carrot (grated)
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice - ground
- Add 1/3 cup oat mix and 1/3 cup of milk to each jar, top up with a half cup of water.
- Add the carrot, dried fruit and spice, stir well then firmly screw the lids on.
- Cook overnight for about 10 hours in the slow cooker or crockpot set to low. Make sure that the lids of the jars are above the water level in the pot.