We marvel at the fast pace of technological change, but the food we eat has also undergone a revolution of similar magnitude in the past few decades. It seems odd that 30 years ago in Britain Olive Oil was regarded as a medicine, available from the chemist in small bottles, rather than a food. I can clearly remember the annual tin of precious Olive Oil given to my mother every Christmas by an uncle and aunt that spent their summers in the Mediterranean.
Now Olive Oil is common place in almost every kitchen, and used by many every day. My bottle of regular oil sits on the worktop next to the hob, and two bottles of better quality oils sit in the cupboard for dressings, and drizzling, for use when I want the flavour of the oil to make a dish sing.
Taste Our Lifestyle is a campaign from Olive Oil from Spain to raise awareness of the Spanish lifestyle and diet, and to encourage you to try some delicious Spanish inspired food. As well as their website, they have an app (Apple / Android), packed with recipes using Olive Oil as a key ingredient.
As well as the usual savoury dishes, I really enjoy baking with Olive Oil, it makes a beautifully moist, delicately flavoured cake, which can be served just as it is without need for further decoration, or embellishment,
Olive Oil, Orange & Oregano Cake
- 150 ml extra virgin Olive Oil
- 3 eggs – free range
- 190 g caster sugar
- 1 orange – zest and juice
- 60 g ground almonds
- 130 g fine semolina
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Line and grease a 23cm / 9? spring form tin.
- Place the olive oil, eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Stir in the orange zest and juice.
- Mix the almonds, semolina, baking powder, bicarb, oregano and salt. Add the egg mixture and fold in to make a liquid batter.
- Once mixed pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until risen and golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then run a knife round the edge of the cake to loosen before opening the tin.
- Serve warm or cold with a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Recipe commissioned by Olive Oils from Spain, all opinions are our own.
For more information see Olive Oils from Spain on Facebook or Twitter.