An easy to make one step vegan date & orange cake made in a sheet pan. Sticky, rich and packed with flavour there is no need to decorate.
Date & Orange Cake
The most popular post on Fuss Free Flavours is my store cupboard bung it all in, mix and bake easy peasy ginger cake. I make it on a regular basis and have never had it go wrong, or fail to impress. Because all the ingredients are from the store cupboard you need neither eggs or butter making it frugal as well as vegan, and thus suitable for those with either diary of egg allergies.
My original recipe is now five years old, so it is time for an update (and some better photography) and the current incarnation is a sticky orange and date cake; all the ingredients apart from the orange are from the store cupboard, and the cake is still egg and diary free and vegan.
My dates were ancient and very very dried out so I gave them a soak before using, if you shop more frequently, or have better quality dates than I do then skip this stage.
Date & Orange Sheet Cake (Vegan)
- 100 g dried dates (snipped into pieces and covered in boiling water and left to soak)
- 350 g Plain Flour
- 225 g Sugar (I use soft dark brown for colour and flavour but any would work)
- 100 g Cooking oil (Sunflower or rape/canola)
- Zest one large orange (finely grated)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 60 g golden syrup
- Drain the dates, reserving the soaking water, make the volume of the date water up to 225ml.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl or your stand mixer and whizz until you have a smooth golden brown batter.
- Pour into 8” square pan lined with greaseproof paper (if needed) and bake at GM4/180C for about 25 – 30 mins until risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.