This pretty pink delicately flavoured cocktail is perfect for sipping on a warm summer’s evening. Make the rhubarb and orange syrup the day before and allow to chill in the fridge.
- 200 g new rhubarb – choose the thinner pink stalks – cut into 2cm chunks
- Zest or half an orange
- 75 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 segment of star anise – optional
- 1 bottle Prosecco
- Place all the ingredients (apart from the Prosecco) into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat and cook until the sugar is dissolved and the rhubarb is soft.
- Strain through a fine sieve, return to the pan and simmer until reduced to a thin syrup.
- Chill overnight in the fridge.
- Pour a tablespoon of the syrup into each Champagne glass and top up with Prosecco.
Recipe commissioned by Waitrose Cellar.