I love a good traybake. Easy to make – simply mix, bake, cut into squares and eat. No need to fiddle around decorating. Simply cake – focussing on the flavour and texture.
With Spring in full swing the first rhubarb is now in season (and coming down in price) so it is the perfect time to buy some and enjoy.
I’ve paired it with orange – a classic combination and topped my traybake with a crunchy strusel to add texture and interest in absence of decoration.
In a twist on most cakes this one is egg free – handy if you have run out and perfect for catering the growing number of people with egg allergies – and made with Flora Original Spread.
Recipe: Rhubarb & Orange Tray Bake with a Strusel Topping
For the cake
- 110 g Flora Original
- 145 g white sugar
- 70 ml semi skimmed milk
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Zest 1 orange
- 150 g rhubarb – cut into 1cm lengths (about 1 1/2 stalks)
For the Struesel Topping
- 40 g Flora Original
- 70 g Plain flour
- 40 g Sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or ground allspice (optional)
- Line a 15 x 25cm (6 x 10?) baking tray or oven dish with parchment paper and oil with a drop of vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / GM4.
- Using an electric mixer beat the Flora Original and sugar at high speed until they are pale, light and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in the milk, flour, baking powder and salt at a lower speed.
- Using a spatula fold in the orange zest and the rhubarb. The batter will be quite stuff.
- Spread the batter into your prepared cake tin.
- Put all the ingredients for the struesel topping into bowl and using your finger tips run the Flora into the dry ingredients until it is the texture of breadcrumbs. Scatter over the cake batter and press in gently.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes until the cake has risen, is golden and is springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool before removing from the tin and cutting into squares.
Recipe development commission for Flora. Recipe, words, images and opinions are my own.
For more rhubarb and traybake inspiration: