A week in France shortly followed by a week in Washington DC, was bliss, but has led to a certain amount of weight gain. I am lucky that I shed holiday pounds fairly easily – a week or so of being sensible usually does the trick. Eating large amounts of vegetables, some fruit and cutting down on starchy carbs seems to work for me, giving a much needed vitamin boost and does not leave me hungry.
I also really really missed my Vitamix and my daily green smoothie for breakfast and had plenty of time when away to think about the drinks I wanted to make. My first breakfast home is my take on the Piña Colada – the Greener Colada – served in my new American cream bottle, complete with a stripy straw, for a food blogger prop shopping is a must when on holiday!
Recipe: Greener Colada - Pineapple, Coconut & Spinach Smoothie
- 2 small bananas
- 1 large handful frozen green grapes
- 1/3 small pineapple – peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 dsp Coconut Oil*
- 1 dsp ground flax seeds (linseed)
- 1/2 glass water
- 1 large handful spinach (or kale if you are feeling hardcore)
- Place all the ingredients into a high performance blender and whizz until smooth. Add more water if needed.