After my trip to the market and excess of peppers the other day I made up this chutney recipe, the mix of red ingredients makes a vibrant coloured chutney, packed with flavour, roasting the peppers brings their flavour out and adds even more depth of colour.
I usually use my homemade pickling vinegar for my chutneys – simply infuse the vinegar with spices for a few weeks before using
A delicious tomato and pepper chutney. Ideal with cheese. Makes about 4 jars.
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes (I used baby plum)
- 2 lb sweet chilli peppers
- 2 large onions
- 1 pint vinegar malt vinegar
- 1 lb sugar
- 2 finely chopped red chillies
- Roughly chop the tomatoes – if they are very ripe heat in the preserving pan until the juices have reduced. Meanwhile lightly roast the peppers in a medium oven until starting to blacken deseed and roughly chop, there is no need to peel unless you really want too – I find my life is too short to peel peppers for chutney.
- Add all ingredients to the tomatoes and bring to a rolling simmer. Turn the heat down and let mix reduce, when ready – anything between 40 mins to several hours depending how much juice was in the vegetables pour into warmed sterilised jam jars and seal down.
- This chutney goes well with hard strong cheeses.