Sweet chilli sauce salad dressing makes a great change from yet another vinaigrette on your salad and veg. It’s easy to make, with gentle heat and a hint of sweet and sour.
Sweet chilli dressing
We eat a lot of salad. Especially in the summertime, every day seems to be a salad day. This year, I’ve been varying the dressings a bit, rather than making yet another vinaigrette. By making larger batches in a jam jar and keeping it in the fridge when necessary, we’ve been enjoying some really easy to prepare side salads.
This sweet chilli sauce salad dressing is now one of my favourites. Sweet from the honey and sweet chilli sauce, there’s also the sour note of vinegar and, when I want it, a little heat from some chilli flakes.
I love the way this looks. Like all oil and vinegar dressings, the layers separate out quickly. By making it in a jam jar, however, I make sure it’s easy to shake up ready to use.
Don’t buy ready made salad dressings. They can be gloopy and disappointing, and it’s so easy to make your own. There are no preservatives in my homemade dressing (unless they are in your sweet chilli sauce) but it will keep well. You can store it in the fridge but it will do just as well in a cool dark cupboard, so you don’t have to make a fresh batch every time.
Leave it to come to room temperature before using.
Why make this
- A delicious change from classic vinaigrette, it’s great with all sorts of salads., as well as roast veggies! Even with rice or pasta!
- Perfect with oriental dishes.
- Dairy free and easy to make gluten free or vegan!
- Olive oil – Always choose a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Sesame oil – for a rich toasty flavour.
- Apple cider vinegar – a good fruity-flavoured vinegar
- Sweet chilli sauce – There are many available, so use your favourite.
- Honey – a clear runny honey works well here
- Soy sauce – Use your favourite. If you want a gluten-free dressing, choose a gluten-free tamari, a Japanese soy sauce made without wheat. Check the bottle to be sure, and check your sweet chilli sauce too.
- Smooth Dijon mustard – mellow and easy to blend in
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli flakes – an optional extra if you like the heat!
How to make sweet chilli sauce dressing
Step One – Simply measure all the ingredients into a jam jar!
Step Two – Close the lid tightly and give a good shake to mix!
Alternatively, make enough for one salad at the bottom of a salad bowl. Mix with a small whisk, add the leaves and toss to coat evenly.
Keep your sweet chilli vinaigrette in a lidded jar in the fridge or a cool cupboard for up to a week.
Allow to come to room temperature and give a good shake before serving.
This dressing will keep for about a week in the fridge or a cool cupboard.
To make your dressing gluten free, choose a gluten free tamari rather than ordinary soy sauce, and pick your sweet chilli sauce with care.
To make your dressing vegan, choose the sweet chilli sauce with care and substitute light maple syrup for the honey.
Hints and tips for sweet chilli vinaigrette
- The important thing with dressings is the ratio of oil to vinegar. Get this right and everything else follows.
- The dressing doesn’t emulsify, so it will separate if left to stand. Simply shake up before dressing.
- Swap maple syrup for the honey to make your sweet chilli salad dressing vegan.
- This dressing would be delicious on a rice or pasta salad.
- You don’t have to keep it in the fridge, but you can. If you do, let it come to room temperature before using.
- Optional ingredient suggestion: add some miso paste for a hint of umami.
- If you like it, grate in some ginger for added zing.
More dressings & salads
- Pesto dressing – This pesto salad dressing recipe is fresh, vibrant and easy to make
- Salad cream – the British classic! So much better when homemade.
- Carrot top pesto – never throw those carrot tops on the compost again!
- No mayo slaw – crunchy, colourful and delicious.
- Asian slaw – packed with Asian veggies and served with a soy, sesame and ginger dressing
- Carrot salad – the easy to make French classic you will be eating all summer long!
Sweet chilli dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
- Measure all ingredients into a jam jar. Shake well just before dressing salad.
- This recipe is 1 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion