Homemade Tortilla Chips
I’m a dipaphile. We love them as an informal first course for a cosy supper at home. I often rustle up a bowlful of guacamole, hummus, salsa, or a bean-based dip and serve it with something suitable to scoop it up. There are many choices: vegetable crudités, a packet of crisps, Melba toast – or these homemade tortilla chips, which are easy to make from bought wraps.
When it’s just us, I admit that we have been known to commit the ultimate dipping crime: a (gasp!) double dip. In our defence, we do flip our chip end for end, and dip the unbitten end. I’m sure purists would still be still horrified.
This recipe is very easy to make and perfect with a spicy guacamole or hearty hummus. Homemade tortilla chips (or tortilla crisps) are much healthier than the packet ones, as they are baked rather than fried.
Additionally, you can control the amount of salt, and even the greatest salt fiend is unlikely to douse them in the quantity found in the shop-bought variety. In short, they are better for your blood pressure, better for serving to children and all-round nicer.
How to Make Tortilla Chips
Step 1 – Place a pizza stone or baking tray in the oven. Preheat to 220C/425F/Gas mark 7.
Step 2 – Brush the wrap with olive oil. Cut it into strips.
Step 3 – Cut the strips into triangles.
Step 4 – Arrange on a pizza stone, or baking tray
Step 5 – Bake for about 10 minutes until golden and crisp. Keep a close eye on them, as they can become overcooked quite quickly.
Step 6 – Once they’re done, remove from the oven, allow to cool and serve with your favourite dip.
Hints, Tips & Variations for Homemade Tortilla Chips
- The one thing you do have to be careful about with these homemade tortilla chips is timing. The difference between underdone and overdone is tight. When testing this recipe, we burnt a couple of batches by not being sufficiently attentive to the oven. Don’t turn your back, even for a second. If you do, they’re sure to burn! Experiment to find out exactly how long they take in your oven, and keep a close eye on them after about eight minutes.
- For the spices, I’ve tried cumin, chilli, harissa or celery salt but I don’t really have a favourite, going with how I’m feeling at the time, and what works best for the dip I’m serving. I’m sure there are plenty of others that would work just as well. Experiment!
Crispy baked homemade tortilla chips
- 1 wrap
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp spices ((choice))
- Place a pizza stone or baking tray in the oven. Preheat to 220C/425F/Gas mark 7.
- Brush the wrap with olive oil. Cut it into strips, and then cut each strip into triangles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and your choice of spice, if wanted. Try cumin, chilli, harissa or celery salt.
- Place on the pizza stone and bake for about 10 minutes until golden and crisp.
- When baking your tortilla chips, watch them very carefully. They can go from underdone to burnt in a matter of seconds.
- Experiment with different spices to find the flavours you enjoy.
- This recipe is 4 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
This recipe was originally posted in July 2017, but was rewritten and republished with new photos, step by step instructions and hints & tips in August 2019.
Serve these homemade tortilla chips with my Yogurt, Pomegranate Molasses, Mint & Tahini Dip
or, for something a little more luxurious, Luxurious & Simple Lobster Dip Two Ways