A deliciously easy Middle Eastern inspired yogurt tahini dip packed with fresh mint
This yogurt, pomegranate molasses, mint & tahini dip is a really tasty accompaniment to crisps, crudités or similar dip-friendly items. The dip combines the flavours of the middle east, with sesame seed derived tahini, cooling yogurt, fruity tart pomegranate molasses and fresh mint into a great tasting dip that is also delicious dolloped onto cooked veggies or a rice pilaf.
If you haven’t tried pomegranate molasses before, it’s worth finding a bottle. Made from reduced pomegranate juice reduced to a thick syrup is rich, sticky, tart and deeply intense, as well as not too sweet. You can also make your own, by reducing pomegranate juice and adding sugar to taste (if you want), and also maybe some lemon juice to extend the shelf life. One of my favourite uses is drizzling some over grapes and then roasting them before serving with griddled halloumi. Perfection! And here are a few more pomegranate ideas:
Six ideas for Pomegranate Molasses
- Add molasses to salad dressings
- Or to homemade raspberry jam
- Drizzle over French toast for a luxurious brunch
- Make your own refreshing pomegranate juice based soft drinks. Experiment!
- Infuse some gin or vodka
- Add arils (the seeds) to salads and dips for that fruity crunch.
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds, and has this magical ability to get thicker when you add other liquid, or runny ingredients, to it. Easily available, again it’s straightforward to make yourself by toasting and grinding sesame seeds and then adding olive oil until you reach the right consistency. This yogurt tahini dip is thicker than all the individual ingredients, which sort of blows my mind a little. This ability makes it ideal for dressings which you can then thin down considerably with water, without piling on the calories.
Five things to do with tahini
- Home made hummus. Classic, easy and delicious. Tahini should be the only oil added to hummus, so do check the label when buying a pot.
- Incorporate it into salad dressings for extra flavour.
- Add to soup.
- Tahini cookies: search online for one of the many recipes.
- Vegan chocolate and tahini brownies. Again, many recipes can be found online.
Yogurt Pomegranate Molasses Fresh Mint and Tahini Dip
- 100 g natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2-3 heaped tsp pomegranate molasses
- Salt & pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together, and season well. Add a little more pomegranate molasses if needed, and thin with a little water for a coating dressing.