This no mayonnaise potato salad with tahini and pomegranate seeds is a great change from standard recipes. Studded with jewels of pomegranate seeds, it both looks and tastes fresh and summery. Perfect for your summer BBQs and potlucks. Vegan, Gluten Free, Keto and Paleo friendly.
A potato salad is a summer staple, simple but so delicious and also so adaptable. Everyone has their own version – we like to keep our potato mayonnaise simple – new potatoes, with a snip of chives and plenty of salt and pepper, and certainly no raw onions! Come summer we keep a bowl of cooked new potatoes in the fridge ready to turn into a potato salad.
If you are bored of the regular mayonnaise dressing based potato salad try this no mayonnaise version inspired by Middle Eastern flavours with a vegan tahini and coriander (cilantro) dressing, finished with a scattering of pomegranate seeds to give it a pretty jewelled finish. If you are one of those unfortunate people for whom coriander tastes like soap – substitute a mixture of finely chopped flat leaf parsley and mint.
Tahini; made from ground sesame seeds, is a staple in my kitchen, and has an almost magical property of thickening when you add oil and lemon juice to it, so you can thin it down with water, which makes the dressing far less calorific. it is a staple for dressing in my kitchen.
When making a potato salad it is important to use a good quality new potato. Small and sweet with a thin papery skin that should easily scrape, or rub away. I always think that they are far better steamed, which preserves and enhances their delicate potato flavour. I use a scrubby dish cloth to prepare my new potatoes, and remember that despite them being new, they take the same time to cook as all potatoes do – somehow I always; perhaps impatiently, expect them to be ready sooner.
The star of this no mayonnaise potato salad are Cornish new potatoes, grown close to the sea, they are the first crop available from the UK mainland. Enjoy the first ones steamed with a sprinkle of salt, and a generous pat of butter, before using them in dishes like this potato salad.
More Easy Potato Salad Recipes
- Miso potato salad
- Boiled Egg Salad with potato
- Cucumber and potato salad
- Healthy potato salad
- Mexican black bean potato salad
Tahini, Pomegranate, and Coriander Cornish New Potato Salad
- 500 g Cornish New potatoes (, washed and lightly scrubbed to remove some of the skin.)
For the sauce
- 1 tbs tahini
- ½ lemon – juiced and zested
- 1 dsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbs water ((or more if needed))
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 2 tbs pomegranate seeds
- Steam or gently simmer the potatoes for about 20 minutes until cooked. Drain and allow to cool.
- Whisk the tahini, lemon juice and olive oil together in a mixing bowl. Add the soy sauce and drizzle in some of the water. Mix, and add more water until the sauce is the consistency of single cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the coriander, reserving some of the leaves for garnishing, and stir into the sauce with the lemon zest.
- Once the potatoes have cooled cut into 1cm thick slices, and gently fold a few at a time into the sauce until they are coated.
- Serve the potatoes on a bed of salad leaves, scatter the reserved coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds over.
- To stick to a paleo diet do not consume in excess
- Since tahini is ground sesame paste, this is Keto friendly
- This recipe is 4 Weight Watchers Smart Points
Another delicious potato recipe is my easy potato aloo curry made with canned potatoes.