You will love this easy healthy potato salad with a south American twist of added black beans, lime & coriander, served with an avocado and sweetcorn salsa.
In the summer a bowl of cooked new potatoes is a staple in my fridge. They are delicious and adaptable and the season is all too short. I make my usual potato salad with a mix of mayonnaise and yoghurt – it lightens it up and tastes just as good – most people do not notice the difference.
Come the middle of the season I am getting fed up with the standard mayonnaise potato salad, so start to make different versions – my latest version of a potato salad has an Olympic inspired Brazilian twist – I’ve transformed a side dish into a main by adding a protein-packed south American staple of black beans, added an generous measure of coriander (cilantro) and lime and served with a green and yellow avocado and sweetcorn salsa to reflect the colours of the Brazilian flag. If you are looking for another twist on the standard mayonnaise potato salad try my no mayonnaise potato salad with a tahini and pomegranate dressing.
The star of the show, of course is the potatoes, and I’ve used British Gems Baby New Potatoes from the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Range – bite sized, melt in the mouth soft and with a delicious flavour. The are exclusively grown for Sainsbury’s and are packed and delivered to store within 48 hours of harvest. You cannot really get fresher unless you grow then yourself and at £1.50 for a 1 kg bag they are worth adding to your trolley or internet grocery shop.
More Easy Potato Salad Recipes
- Miso potato salad
- Boiled Egg Salad with potato
- Tahini potato salad
- Cucumber and potato salad
- Healthy potato salad
Potato & Black Bean Salad with an Avocado and Sweetcorn Salsa
- For the salad
- 1 kg baby gems or other small new potatoes
- 440 g can of cooked black beans - rinsed and drained
- zest & juice of one lime
- 4 tbs mayonnaise
- 4 tbs natural or Greek yogurt
- 4 tbs finely chopped coriander leaf
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- for the salsa
- 1 avocado - peeled (destoned and chopped)
- 120 g | 1 cup sweetcorn kernels
- Squeeze lime
- 1/2 a jalapeño or other green chilli - finely chopped - remove the seeds and membranes
- 1 tbs finely chopped coriander
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Wash the potatoes and put into a large pan or water. Gently boil for 15 - 20 minutes until just cooked - take care not to over boil them. Drain and put into a pan of cold water to cool.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking mix the lime juice & zest, mayonnaise, yoghurt, coriander in a large bowl, and season to taste.
- Drain the black beans and rinse well. Place on a tea towel and gently pat dry.
- Drain the potatoes and cut in half, or into several slices, depending on their size.
- It is easier to coat the potatoes with dressing if you add them in stages - so add about a third at a time to the bowl with the dressing and gently fold to coat them. Carefully stir in the black beans reserving a few for garnish.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl, garnish with a few black beans, some coriander and a slice of lime.
- Cover and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Serve at room temperature.
- For the salsa
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Add more or less chilli to taste.
Potato & Black Bean Salad with an Avocado and Sweetcorn Salsa recipe was commissioned by Sainsbury’s to promote their Baby Gem potatoes. All opinions our own.