These mini quiche Lorraines are meat free and made with Quorn™ Meat Free Bacon Rashers. They are deliciously perfect for picnics and packed lunches, and suitable for the whole family.
Everyone loves French food when they are on holiday, but it can be not at all vegetarian friendly; with seemingly bacon or lardons added to almost every savoury dish. So you can enjoy some French inspired food at home I’ve given the classic French Lorraine a makeover to make it meat free and vegetarian friendly, using Quorn™ Meat Free Bacon Rashers.
If you add a little soy sauce to the Quorn Meat Free Bacon Rashers it adds a wonderful smokiness and depth of flavour, and I think that it is well worth the few seconds of extra effort.
Mini quiches are ideal for children, are easier to transport for a picnic and certainly are far easier to eat. I’ve used puff pastry, but if you prefer you can use the more traditional short crust. (Strictly speaking it is traditional to use a fluted cutter for sweet tarts and scones and a straight one for savoury – but I prefer how a fluted one looks).
Quorn™ Meat Free Mini Quiche Lorranines
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ small onion (finely diced)
- 4 pieces strips Quorn ™ meat free bacon rashers - cut into 1cm
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml double cream
- 60 ml milk
- 25 g finely grated cheddar
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 1 packet ready rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the onion and fry over a low heat until translucent.
- Remove the onion from the pan, quickly fry the bacon until starting to turn golden. Remove from the heat, pour over the soy sauce and stir well to coat.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, milk, cheddar and chives together in a jug, then stir in the onion and bacon pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a round cutter to cut 9 circles of pastry and lightly press them into a non stick bun or muffin tin. Pour the mixture into each of the pastry cases until 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes until golden, puffed and just set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing from the tin. Store any leftovers in a airtight tin for a day and reheat in a gentle oven.
For more delicious meat free recipes using Quorn check out all their recipes on their website.
Recipe for Meat Free Mini Quiche Lorraines commissioned by Quorn™, using their meat free bacon rashers. All opinions our own.