Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
We really enjoy a bowl of soup. It’s one of our favourite lunches, accompanied by a slice or two of homemade bread. Here’s a comforting no fat slow cooker vegetable soup that’s so easy to prepare. A big bowl of vegetable soup is a simple way to get you towards your 5-a-day, and root veggies are so cheap that this is a really frugal meal. For perfect home economy, make large batches and freeze it in portions.
My gorgeous slow cooker vegetable soup surely works for everyone. It’s vegan, gluten free and all-round healthy. This recipe is ideal for anyone under doctor’s orders to avoid fat completely, which can be a hard task. For the rest of us, remember your body can’t absorb all the vitamin A from those lovely golden veg without just a little fat. This gives you the perfect excuse to drizzle a flavoured oil on top or indulge in a little bit of butter on your bread.
Slow Cooker Magic
The great advantage of using the slow cooker is that it’s a real fire-up-and-forget way of cooking. It doesn’t require close monitoring and nothing will ever burn, so we can start it doing its thing and then use the cooking time to go and do something else. And there are so many recipes that really benefit from long, slow cooking times, particularly dishes that use cheaper cuts of meat.
This recipe, however, is root vegetable based. The long slow gentle cooking magically transforms them, leaving them velvet smooth and naturally sweet. We used a vegetable stock here, but for a richer stock use chicken. (Making stock is another great use for the slow cooker: simply add your usual stock ingredients to the pot, cover with water and leave for 8-10 hours or overnight on a low setting before straining).
This soup doesn’t take nearly as long – 5 hours on low, or 3 on high on our 160-190 watt model. Once cooked, simply blitz with a stick blender until smooth, and it’s ready to serve straight away. Leftovers can be frozen.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Good soup often starts with a soffritto recipe. Make a big batch, freeze and use every time you make soup.
- Carrot and lentil soup
- Pumpkin and sweet potato soup
- Swede Soup
- Butternut squash soup
- Tomato and lentil soup
- More easy soup recipes
Summer Soup Recipes
No fat slow cooker vegetable soup
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Parsnips
- 2 sticks Celery
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/2 Celeriac
- 1 small turnip (or wedge of swede)
- 4 cups Stock
- Peel and roughly chop the vegetables
- Add to slow cooker, and cover with stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Switch onto high until simmering, then either leave to cook for a total of 3 hours, or then switch onto low and cook for 5 hours.
- Once the vegetables are soft blitz with a stick blender, adding a little more stock if needed.
- To make a heartier version add a handful of red lentils
- Do not add the dollop of sour cream as shown in the image if you want to keep it vegan
- This recipe is 5 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
A hot weather alternative to this is my leftover salad soup. It’s perfect for using up wilting salad vegetables that are are past their best. For more healthy slow cooker ideas you may also like my fat free slow cooker tomato sauce.
Pin it for later