Yesterday I reviewed the Mighty Spice Cookbook and promised a recipe from it, so here you are.
This was delicious, I used some of my Morrison’s father’s day rump steak rather than the fillet suggested in the recipe, which I was very impressed with. Both tender and flavoursome, far better quality than I am used to from supermarket meat.
I have also come to realise that ginger is essential in any vaguely Chinese based recipe to give a full and rounded flavour. The balsamic vinegar is an interesting addition, adding a modern flavour and some sourness. I’ll be making variations on this recipe again and again.
Stir-Fried Beef with Black Pepper & BasilPrep Time5 minsCook Time5 minsTotal Time10 mins
Stir-Fried Beef with Black Pepper & BasilCourse: Main mealCuisine: MeatKeyword: Beef Stir FryServings: 4Calories: 414 kcalIngredients
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) beef fillet finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2.5 cm (1 in) piece root ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 large handful basil leaves roughly tornInstructions
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add the oil. Once hot add the sliced beef and stir-fry or 1-2 mins, or until turning golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger & black pepper and stir-fry for another minute, then add the sugar, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and basil leaves. Mix well and serve immediately.Recipe Notes
Recipe reproduced with kind permission from DBPNutrition FactsStir-Fried Beef with Black Pepper & BasilAmount Per Serving (4 servings)Calories 414 Calories from Fat 306% Daily Value*Fat 34g52%Saturated Fat 16g100%Cholesterol 87mg29%Sodium 314mg14%Potassium 414mg12%Carbohydrates 2g1%Protein 23g46%Vitamin C 0.9mg1%Calcium 19mg2%Iron 3.2mg18%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Come back tomorrow for the chance to win one of three copies of Mighty Spice!