This vegan roast butternut squash salad topped with crunchy dukkah is full of colour, flavour and texture. Ideal as a light meal, or a side dish.
I am a huge fan of butternut squash. Cheap, readily available, long lasting, delicious and adaptable makes it the perfect Fuss Free vegetable for my kitchen.
I use butternut raw – finely grated in salads, along with potato in rosti, in smoothies and soups, roasted or stuffed.
This pretty salad is perfect on a warmer summers evening with a glass of wine, or for lunch on a day when the sun isn’t shining. Crunchy green kale, sautéed mushrooms, sweetly roasted squash topped with a sprinkle of dukkah make for an interesting bowl. There really isn’t the need to measure anything, use what quantities you have available.
I’ve been using dukkah (duqqa or daqqa) for some years. Originating from Eygpt it is a flavour filled mix of crunchy almonds, hazelnuts, cumin, coriander, sesame and spices., or course the ingredients will vary according to where it is made, or who you ask – zaatar and ground chickpeas can be added to the mix. Once you find a blend that you like I guarantee that you will find it very useful as a rub, sprinkle or topping. Ideal accompanied by a chunk of my slow cooker cornbread – the best way to bake when it is too hot to turn the oven on!
Roast butternut squash salad with dukkah
- 1 medium butternut squash – peeled deseeded and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 good glugs olive oil
- handful mushrooms – sliced
- 4 spring onions – shredded
- 1 medium bag curly kale – thick stalks removed
- 2 tbs dukkah
- Pinch chilli flake
- Pre heat the oven to GM4 / 180C. Pour some oil into a roasting tin add the prepared butternut squash, season well with salt and pepper, give a good shake to coat and pop into the oven to roast for about 40 - 45 minutes
- When the butternut squash is cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Fry the mushrooms in a little more of the olive oil until soft, then add the spring onions and cook for another minute.
- Lightly cook the kale – I usually steam it in the microwave for a minute.
- Assemble the salad but layering the kale, then the mushrooms and topping with the roasted butternut squash. Sprinkle with the dukkah and some chilli flake