I have only recently discovered Blogger Secret Ingredient and have not managed to take part in the last 2 challenges. However I am well prepared for this week which is cashews and is hosted by Aubree Cherie from Living Free. For those not familiar with BSI it was set up by Biz at Biggest Diabetic Loser. Every week the host picks an ingredient and a prize, posts the summary and picks the winner and next week’s host on the Sunday. I have no idea why I have not discovered the event before and am delighted to be joining in now.
This week the ingredient is cashews and I have reworked my oaty biscuit recipe to include them, chewy cranberries give contrast to the crisp biscuits and look like jewels baked into the biscuit.
Cashew and Cranberry Oaty Biscuits
- 4 oz soft margarine
- 3 oz sugar (I used half white and half Demerara)
- 1 tbs golden syrup (Fuss Free tip – run hot water over the spoon you use for the syrup – it will then easily slide off)
- 4 oz porridge oats
- 4 oz plain flour
- 1 oz unsalted cashews - broken into pieces
- 1 oz dried cranberries - roughly chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Weigh the wet ingredients into a saucepan and melt on a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Meanwhile mix all the dry ingredients well into a bowl. When the margarine is melted stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly. If necessary add more oats until you have a firm and not sticky dough.
- Place walnut sized balls of the dough on a greaseproof paper covered baking tray and flatten slightly; allow room to spread – the baked biscuits will be around 2 ½” (6cm) across. Bake at GM4/350F/180C for 10- 15mins or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly and firm up before peeling from the paper before leaving to cool on a wire rack.
- These should keep a week in an airtight tin, but I usually never have any left after a few days.
Oh yum, those look so perfect. I am on an oatmeal cookie kick lately.