These cream cheese filled lemon biscuits are just what you need at any time of year; cheering in the winter and refreshing in the summer and egg free!
I love baking and using lemon, it is such an adaptable ingredient, these pack a double lemon whammy with both a lemon biscuit and the (optional) lemon cream cheese filling. The lemon biscuits are delightfully short, and delicately flavoured.
I have known these lemon fork biscuits for all my life, my mother used to make them at least once per week when I was a child. The original recipe was from her old orange covered, spiral bound school Domestic Science exercise book (calling it Domestic Science rather than Home Economics does rather date it). Today the book is somewhat dog-eared about the edges and bursting with cuttings taken over the years from various newspapers and magazines.
Here the lemon biscuit recipe is adapted from my mother’s school exercise book, and spruced up with a lemon cheese cream filling. Ideal for teatime, and if you need it here is a guide on how to make the perfect cup of tea.
Lemon "Fork" Biscuits with a cream cheese filling
- 40 g golden caster sugar
- 80 g butter (softened or soft baking margarine)
- 100 g self raising flour or plain with a scant teaspoon of baking powder added, sifted
- finely grated zest of half a lemon
- pinch salt
For the (optional) filling
- 1 tbs full fat cream cheese
- 1 tbs lemon curd
- 1 tbs icing sugar (sifted)
- Preheat the oven to GM4 / 350F / 180C
- Using a handheld or stand mixer cream the sugar and butter or margarine together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour, lemon zest and salt and mix well to form a stiff dough.
- Roll into balls of about 2.5cm and space out on a greased baking tray. Press lightly on each one with a fork to slightly flatten.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes; depending on the character of your oven, until golden.
- Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For the filling
- With a fork gently mix all the ingredients together.Do not over mix as the filling can become very runny, it should be the consistency of mayonnaise and will firm up after a spell in the fridge.
- Sandwich pairs of the lemon fork biscuits together a teaspoon of filling just before serving.
- This recipe is 2 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
How to make homemade microwave lemon curd – ideal for filling these biscuits