These easy to make vegan oat cookies are packed with seeds, are crunchy, satisfying and easily made gluten free. With no cookie cutter or rolling pin required you will be filling your cookie jar with batch after batch of these!
Crunchy, tasty cookies like these easy seeded vegan oat cookies make the perfect pick-me-up, ideal as a cheeky snack with a cup of tea. Biscuits (in the UK) or cookies (in the US) are so delicious, but can be expensive in the store.
Far, far better to make your own, cheaper and fresher too! This is a vegan recipe, so no butter or eggs are needed.
How Do You Make Easy Seeded Vegan Oat Cookies?
This isn’t a difficult recipe at all. First, heat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. While it’s heating up, melt vegan spread, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan mixing then all together well.
Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together well.
Add the melted margarine, golden syrup and sugar mixture to this bowl.
And mix together well. If the mixture is a little sticky then add some more oats in.
Use your hands and roll into balls of about the size of an walnut – roughly 2.5cm/1 inch diameter.
Place onto a baking sheet covered with a silicone baking mat or grease-proof paper, then flatten each ball slightly using the bottom of a glass.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes until they start to form a crust, and the seeds start to split. They don’t take on much colour when baking, so don’t overcook them by waiting for them to become golden brown.
Take them out the oven and allow to cool before eating. Then enjoy!
Can honey be used as a substitute for golden syrup?
Yes, absolutely. This does mean that the vegan oat cookies are no longer vegan, though.
Can I Make Easy Seeded Vegan Oat Cookies Gluten Free?
Yes! Use gluten free plain flour instead of regular flour. Also, you’ll need to make sure that the oats are gluten free. While oats themselves don’t contain gluten, sometimes wheat plants will be found growing amongst the oats.
For certified gluten-free oats, the fields are checked for wheat and any plants are removed by hand. Also some coeliacs are sensitive to oats so if you are baking for one please check and be mindful of cross contamination.
Fuss-Free Tips for Easy Seeded Vegan Oat Cookies
- To stop golden syrup sticking to your measuring tablespoon, pour hot or boiling water over it just before measuring out the syrup.
- Try some variations! Add dried fruit, chocolate chips or some spices to make your own variations. How about cinnamon or allspice?
- If you find your vegan oat cookies burn on the bottom (blame the oven), place a large baking tray one layer below the cookies as they bake.
- These are so much nicer if you use jumbo, rather than regular rolled oats
Easy Seeded Vegan Oat Cookies
- 100 g soft margarine
- 75 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 100 g porridge oats ((preferably jumbo oats))
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g sunflower seeds
- 25 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Weigh the wet ingredients into a saucepan and melt on a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Meanwhile mix all the dry ingredients well into a bowl.
- When the margarine is melted stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly. The mixture needs to be firm and not sticky - if necessary add more oats.
- Place teaspoon sized balls of the dough on a greaseproof paper covered baking tray and flatten slightly; allow room to spread – the baked biscuits will be around 2 ½” (6cm) across.
- Bake at GM4/350F/180C for 15mins or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly and firm up before peeling from the paper before leaving to cool on a wire rack.
- Vegan Oaty Biscuits should keep a week in an airtight tin, but I usually never have any left after a few days.
- When measuring golden syrup heat up the spoon in a mug of boiling water, the syrup will easily slide off the warm spoon.
- These are so much nicer when made with jumbo, rather than regular oats.
- This recipe is 3 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
Recipe for Easy Seeded Vegan Oat Cookies originally published May 2008.