This simple healthy dip is packed with flavour and is lighter on the calories as I used water rather than oil to thin it; roasting the carrots and onion concentrates the flavour and makes a sweet tasting delicious dip which will count towards your 5 a day, the addition of sesame oil adds a nutty flavour. Serve warm or make in advance and keep in the fridge for a few days.
Tried this recipe?If you try this recipe please tag #FussFreeFlavours on Instagram or Twitter. It is amazing for me when for me when you make one of my recipes and I really do love to see them. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thanks for reading Fuss Free Flavours!
Roast Carrot Dip
Roasted carrot dip is a lovely substitute for hummus.
- 1 lb carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion – peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the carrots and onions in a roasting tin and toss with the oils and season with the salt and pepper. Roast in a moderately hot oven GM5/190C/375F for about 40mins until the carrot and onion are starting to caramelise. Scrape into the food processor and blitz; adding water if needed to thin, make a textured purée, season to taste, garnish with fresh herbs and serve with pitta bread strips and crudités.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
• Unless stated otherwise cup conversions have been made with an online tool. For accuracy please check with your favoured conversion tool. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales.
Roast Carrot Dip
Amount Per Serving (2 servings)
Calories 154 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 37890IU758%
Vitamin C 17.5mg21%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Delicious Recipes Emailed To You!Get easy, tasty recipes for FREE when you subscribe! Click to Subscribe Now!!
Ooh, this looks lovely!
Love this idea – veggies dipped in roast carrot dip is a super healthy snack.
I could imagine having this in a sandwich or pitta with a bit of crumbled feta too
This is a great idea, shows how versatile carrots can be!
I like the idea of roasting it first! Adds such nice flavours!
I have a bit of a theme of bunging it in the oven to roast, especially when veggies have been at the bottom of the fridge for a while.
I absolutely love this idea! I like to eat dip a bit too much, and sometimes make it the center of a meal, so I’m all over a healthier, low-oil option like this!
This sounds such a great dip and so simple. I can imagine that roasting the veg makes a huge difference. Thank you, I shall be making this.
I absolutely love this idea. Perfect with some pitta or flat breads.
I love carrots and onions in a salad but I bet it would be nice in a dip especially the way you caramelized them first!