Spicy lemon chickpea casserole- an easy vegan dish for weeknight dinners or work lunches. Prep ahead and freeze the leftovers.
I love chickpeas, and happily eat them several times a week, either added to things to bulk them out or as the star of their own dish. This dish is frugal, adaptable and very easy to make. I prefer to soak and then cook my chickpeas from dried, but tinned work just as well. If you do use tinned chickpeas make sure that you rinse them well and you use a brand where the peas are quite firm – I find the texture varies wildly across different brands – some are better for hummus, others for casseroles like this.
If you love this sort of vegan dish then try my vegan 5 bean chilli too!
Recipe: Spicy Lemon Chickpea Casserole
- 1 tbs olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cm piece fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 red chilli (seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 800 g cooked chickpeas (2 cans - drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 lemon ((grated zest and juice))
- 400 g chopped tomatoes ((one tin))
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 100 g spinach
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the spices until they sizzle are fragrant, add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until the onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon zest & juice.
- Season to taste.
- Cook for about 30 minutes then stir in the spinach and cook for another minute until it is wilted.
Vary the dish by changing the spices and adding different leafy greens.
Recipe written January 2017. Updated September 2015.