These egg-free cupcakes are economical, easy to make and endlessly adaptable. Completely free of fuss and ready in about 20 minutes, eggless cupcakes can easily be made vegan. Top them with your favourite flavours and get creative with the decorations.
Cupcakes are one of the easiest cakes to make and great fun. They are usually topped with a deep layer of buttercream, but lend themselves to endless variation.
This basic recipe for eggless cupcakes is simple, delicious and not too sweet. It is perfect for the frugal baker and great for vegans and those with food allergies. Egg-free cupcakes are the ideal choice for bake sales and coffee mornings, or at any event where you are not sure who you need to feed.
I’ve decorated these with a classic vanilla buttercream, which I have piped on to make a rosette.
The recipe makes 12 cupcakes but it is easy to scale, whether you are feeding a crowd or just you and someone special.
How to Make Egg-Free Cupcakes
Step one – Measure out the ingredients before you start. I always do this so I know I won’t leave something out! Heat your oven to 180°C/350°F/GM4.
Step two – Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat until you have a smooth batter. Place cake cases in a cupcake pan.
Step three – Fill each case about two thirds full. Bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden.
Step four – Leave your egg-free cupcakes until they are cool. Then ice and decorate. If you want to keep them vegan, remember to use a vegan spread for the frosting.
- These eggless cupcakes are not very sweet. I make them that way because they need to balance a sugary topping without becoming cloying. If you are not going to pile a huge mound of frosting on top, you could make them sweeter. Try using 120 g each of flour and sugar.
- Try adding some dried fruit or chopped glacé cherries to the mix.
- Add some citrus zest to go with a zingy citrus frosting.
Egg-Free Basic Cupcakes
- 140 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 120 ml soya or dairy milk
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- pinch salt
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcakes cases about two thirds full and bake at 180°C/350°F/GM4 for 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Leave to cool before decorating as desired.
- These cakes are not very sweet, so if you are not going to pile a mound of frosting onto them, you can make them sweeter. Do this by using 120 g each of flour and sugar.
- This recipe is 5 Weight Watchers Smart Points