Peri peri seasoning is a great way to pimp up your fries. Enjoy these Nando’s style fries with your favourite chicken or all by themselves for a spicy treat.
Peri peri chips
We are very, very keen on peri peri in the Fuss Free Kitchen, and very fond of pimped up chips too. That’s why we love these Nando’s style fries, and I’m sure you will too.
Peri peri fries are easy to make and are the perfect satisfying snack in front of the TV at the end of a long day. They’re even better as part of a tasty dinner with fakeaway Nandos chicken and salads.
Seasoned with my special peri peri seasoning, these fries are full of flavour and don’t really need anything else, but we enjoy them with a luscious spicy dip. They’re every bit as good (if not better) as the ones you get at Nando’s and can be rustled up at home at any time.
Peri peri seasoning
These peri peri chips really benefit from a more complex seasoning than conventional chip spice/salt. They’re just so much more special and we really enjoy that touch of heat.
Obviously you can buy ready made peri peri seasoning from the supermarket or maybe even from the local chicken restaurant. You can easily use those seasonings in this recipe but I do prefer to make my own.
It’s really easy to mix up your own batch of seasoning. I find it more economical and I get the spicing exactly the way we like it.
Why make peri peri fries?
- An effortless way to spice up your fries
- They’re quick and easy
- Potato and chilli just works!
Peri peri fries – Ingredients
- Oven chips – whichever brand you like best
- Peri peri seasoning – I recommend making your own because it’s cheaper in the long run and you get the spicing just the way you like it. You can buy ready made if you prefer.
How to make peri peri chips – step by step
Before you start, read my step-by-step instructions, with photos, hints and tips so you can make this recipe perfectly every time.
Scroll down for the recipe card with quantities and more tips at the bottom of the page.
Step One – First, cook your oven chips!
By far the best way is on the oven rack on one of those mesh trays – you get perfectly crisp fries every time. The trays last for years, go in the dishwasher, and are as cheap, as well, chips!
Step Two – Put the fries in the oven and cook them as per the packet instructions until they are golden.
Note – I didn’t cook them on a baking tray – it was just there for the photo!
Step Three – Now put the cooked fries in a bowl. Then sprinkle over the peri peri seasoning.
Step Four – Give it all a good stir, making sure that the chips are thoroughly coated.
Step Five – Serve immediately with your favourite dips. It’s that easy!
We like to eat these Nando’s style peri peri fries with a spicy dip. I either choose sriracha mayo or make my own peri peri dip by mixing a little peri peri sauce or another pinch of the seasoning mix into mayonnaise or thick yogurt.
If you are going to make your own dip, you can mix this up while the peri peri fries are cooking in the oven.
These Nando’s fries go very well with peri peri chicken and salads, or you could serve them with fish or barbecued meats.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste. It’s easy when you make your own!
- Make fully loaded dirty peri peri fries. Fry or roast some onions, tomatoes and sweet pepper and mix into the seasoned fries. Top with aioli/garlic mayo and peri peri sauce for a perfect peri peri feast!
- Cook the chips in your air fryer to save turning on the oven.
These Nando’s style peri peri fries are at their best eaten fresh from the oven and I don’t recommend storing them.
The oven chips are already frozen and the spice mix is stored in the cupboard. Throw them together when you want to eat!
Hints and Tips
- A mesh tray really makes a difference to the results with oven chips, and is a very cheap addition to your kitchen cupboard. Try it!
- A warm mixing bowl will help keep the fries hot!
Peri peri seasoning is a mix of chilli with other spices and herbs, reflecting an African–Portuguese fusion flavour palate. You can buy it or you can very easily make your own.
If you choose a bag of oven chips that are vegan, and use my homemade seasoning recipe, these peri peri chips are vegan. You can use a vegan mayo to make your own dip, too.
Like all spices and spice mixes, it can lose potency over time. It won’t actually go bad. If you find that your mix is starting to lose strength, you can increase the quantity.
REALLY easy. If you want to make my homemade peri peri seasoning, that’s a little bit of extra effort but that’s really easy too, and the jar will last you through many delicious peri peri meals.
You will also love
- Nando’s Style Spicy Rice – deliciously spiced Portuguese style rice
- Fully Loaded Dirty Chips – oven chips with all the trimmings
- Pizza Fries – all your favourite pizza toppings served on chips!
- Salt and Pepper Chips – classic British Chinese takeout at home
- Masala Fries – British Indian Restaurant style chips!
Peri Peri Fries (Peri Peri Chips)
- 300 g frozen oven chips
- 2 tsp peri peri seasoning
Peri Peri Mayo
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp peri peri sauce
- Cook your oven chips according to the instructions on the packet. Spread them out on a mesh tray on a baking sheet for crispier chips!300 g frozen oven chips
- When the chips are cooked, put them in a bowl. Add the peri peri seasoning.2 tsp peri peri seasoning
- Mix together well so that the fries are well coated and serve immediately.
Peri Peri Mayo
- If you want to make peri peri mayo to serve with your fries, mix the mayonnaise together with a teaspoonful of peri peri sauce while the fries are cooking.2 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp peri peri sauce