Another guest post from my friend Annabel who puts the OXO salad spinner through its paces.
I return to assist Helen with a review for the OXO Little salad & herb spinner. Every home needs a spinner. “Why?” I hear you say. Well, because it can be used for a myriad of purposes.
So far I’ve washed many a salad leaf, elderflower heads and the red currents I collected at a friends farm. If it needs washing, it will also need drying or at least removing as much of the moisture as possible. There is no better way than with the centrifugal force from an OXO salad spinner. This one is fitted with a brake!
The salad spinner is neat and compact (perfect for one or two). Its also pleasing to the eye, as my memory of salad spinners from my childhood was distinctly brown. It has a pump action mechanism to make the basket spin and then a brake can be use to stop it. When not in use the handle sit flat within the lid for easy storage. Cleaning is easy and it is also top rack dishwasher suitable. for those concerned about such thing it is BPA free too. Retailing at £20 it is a bargain.
My palette of late has been craving Mediterranean spices. But only a subtle hint, so I amalgamated a selection of food ideas to come up with a meal to meet my needs.
I will point out now that I know the recipe says two eggs person but the image only has one. All I can say is that I had two eggs but would not have dreamed of showing you the second one. I need to practice my egg poaching!
Recipe: Poached Eggs With Cumin Flavoured Salad & OXO Salad Spinner Review
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 head of chicory
- 1 gem lettuce
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- dash of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Runny honey
- Pop a pan of water on for poaching the eggs – I will not explain how to poach as my method clearly is not ideal. Needless to say – poach the eggs in your usual manner and then set aside and leave to cool on a piece of kitchen towel.
- While the water is heating, make up the dressing. Toast the cumin seeds in a pan over a medium heat, shaking on the odd occasion. Cook until they darken. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, mix a tablespoon of the olive oil with a dash of the lemon or lime. Don’t be too bold, or all you will taste is the sour citrus flavour, and it will mask the cumin flavour. Mix in a small amount of runny honey. Add in the cumin seed and combine. Adjust the ingredients to your own taste.
- Wash the leaves of the chicory and gem lettuce and dry off in the OXO salad spinner. Now tear the leaves up into smaller pieces into a serving. I did not tear the leaves, but decided this would be a better course of action when I made it again. Pour over the dressing and coat the leaves, by hand or with salad tongs.
- Share equally between two plates and arrange the poached eggs on top. Add seasoning at this point if you desire.
- Et voilà – one quick and easy salad.
- Any type of salad leaves can be used really, so feel free to experiment.
Thank you to Helen and OXO for the salad spinner and the chance to share some food ideas with you all.
Happy summer salad days.
Fuss Free Flavours received an OXO Salad Spinner for review. All opinion are our own and we were not obliged to write a positive review. Many thanks to Annabel for reviewing it and for the recipe.