This unusual, but refreshing tomato tea is richly flavoured with tomato and super simple to make. Keto, Whole 30 and Paleo Friendly!
I had tomato “tea” at a restaurant a few months ago, and have been waiting for the opportunity to recreate, and put my own spin on it. Of course, as this is made with the flesh of a tomato rather than the leaves it is not a true tea, but it is still delicious. Regardless of what you call it it is delicious, serve it elegantly in shot glasses, or drink it by the glassful. Pop the leftover pulp into the freezer and add to the next bolognese or tomato based sauce that you make.
Recipe: Tomato Tea
- 150 g good quality tomatoes
- 200 ml BRITA filtered water
- Sprig thyme
- Pinch salt
- Slice lemon
- Couple of basil leaves
- Celery salt
- Place the tomatoes and BRITA filtered water in a blender (I use the Froothie Optimum 9400) and whizz for a few seconds until you have a smooth liquid.
- Strain through a muslin, then through a coffee filter paper.
- Pour into a pan, add the thyme and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the hot tea into a tea pot and add a slice of lemon.
- Serve in shot glasses (dip the rims into water then celery salt) with a basil leaf.
- You do need to start this in advance as it takes ages to filter, to speed things up filter it first through a jelly bag, or cheese cloth, then through a coffee filter for a crystal clear drink.
- This recipe is 1 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion.
Post commissioned by BRITA