SPAM® is one of my favourite comfort foods, and when I do eat some, I really rather enjoy it. Cooking transforms it, so fry or grill until it is crispy and full of flavour. I rather like cubes of crispy fried SPAM®, mixed in with some pasta, flavoured with chilli and sprinkled with grated cheese. Delicious and a nod back to my childhood and the SPAM® we were served for school lunches – albeit sliced straight from the can.
This year SPAM® appreciation week runs from the 2nd – 8th March, and if you share your love of SPAM® – with a simple recipe, poem, photo or drawing you can win some great prizes including a breakfast hot balloon experience, breakfast at the top of the iconic Shard skyscraper in London, or breakfast with the big cats. Entry is easy and will only take a few seconds, pop over to the SPAM® website and fill in a simple form by the 28th of this month. For every entry SPAM® are donating £1 to The Children’s Hospital in Sheffield so you are supporting a great cause by taking part.
Using crumpets as a “pizza” base is a kitchen trick that I have been using for years, so I am pleased to be able to share this simple recipe for SPAM® and cheese crumpets – perfect for a SPAM® based breakfast or snack.
Recipe for SPAM® & Cheesy Crumpets
- 200 g tub or can SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham cut into large cubes
- 4 Crumpets
- 40 g Cheddar cheese – grated
- Preheat grill and once warmed, grill the SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham slices each side until golden.
- Put the 4 crumpets in at the same time as the SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham under the grill.
- Keep the crumpets warm and allow the grilled SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham to cool a little and cut into dice.
- Divide SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham into four batches and pile on top of each grilled crumpet.
- Pile the grated cheese on top of each crumpet and return to the hot grill until the cheese is hot and bubbling.
- Place two crumpets each on warm plates and serve immediately.
This is a sponsored post. All opinions our own.