Enjoy these street food style spicy slaw fritter as a perfect pre-barbecue bite or as a quick and easy dish at any time.
Change is coming to the pickle aisle of the supermarket. Baxters – those people you probably think of as tinned soup makers, are launching a range of pickles to let us have a bit more variety with our burgers, wurst and other street-food dishes than just another pickled gherkin. We’ve used it in these spicy slaw fritters.
There is a range of four to look out for, but we started with this spicy slaw of cabbage, carrots and onions pickled with mustard seeds and chilli for that welcome hint of heat. Feeling inspired by street food, we used some egg and flour as a binder to make bite-sized fritters that go so well with a spicy chilli dipping sauce and would be perfect as a little pre-barbecue bite, or just as a quick and easy dish at any time.
There are so many other things that could be done with this spicy slaw; from adding to a salad for some extra bite- maybe with some chicken or pulled pork? Or how about adding to your favourite wrap?
Serve this with my Sous Vide BBQ Chicken Thighs!
Spicy slaw fritters
- 1 egg
- 25 ml milk
- 25 g plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 250 g jar of Baxters Spicy Slaw - drained and rinsed
- Oil for frying
- Coriander and spring onion to garnish
- Add the egg, milk, flour and salt and pepper to a bowl, and beat together.
- Add the Baxters Spicy Slaw and mix well.
- Preheat a frying pan and add a generous glug of oil. Don’t worry about being generous with the oil – when it’s hot enough the fritters won’t absorb it.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of batter into the oil, and cook for a few minutes on each side. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot with a spicy chili dipping sauce.
For more idea using the spicy slaw why not try
- Sarah’s Spicy Slaw Quesadillas
- Katie’s Sticky Maple Pulled Pork Subs with Spicy Slaw
- Jac’s Beet, Chive and Asparagus Tarts
Other items in the range include red onion, spicy slaw, red slaw and jalapeños. RRP is £1.49 from the major supermarkets.
Recipe for spicy slaw fritters commissioned by Baxters. All opinions our own.