This noodle packed lunch salad in a jar is the perfect healthy meal-on-the-go.
It’s so much nicer to take a packed lunch than rely on a less than inspiring floppy sandwich accompanied by a rather heavy so-called muffin. There are many forms of packed lunch, from flasks of soup to sausages wrapped in foil (a family tradition) via buns and sandwiches. The mason jar salad is something that I’ve only really come across recently, but there are many advantages to this form of portable meal.
By using a jar, you get a leak-proof container and eating receptacle all in one, perfect to take to work, Just pop the lid off come lunchtime and dive in.
The bottom layer of this salad is made up of Baxters Red Slaw Deli Toppers, a new addition to their range of pickles. It’s a coleslaw made of red cabbage, white cabbage, onions, and carrots.
The real secret to these jar salads is firstly, to use a wide mouth jar with a rubber seal (check that the lid seals well) so that you can eat straight from the jar, and add the dressing first, which keeps everything crispy until you’re ready to eat.
Layer up the salad, and have a second, small jar for some crispy toppings: nuts, seeds, croutons or similar. If you add some frozen frozen chickpeas to the salad they’ll keep everything cool until lunchtime.
Just before eating, shake the jar to distribute the dressing through the salad, and squeeze over the lemon for a hint of acidity.
Vegan noodle packed lunch salad in a jar
- ½ nest of noodles cooked as per packet instructions
- ½ handful of beansprouts
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 jar Baxters Deli Toppers Red Slaw - drained
- 1 sprig of coriander
- ¼ red pepper (cut into strips)
- ½ handful cooked and frozen or tinned chickpeas
- leaves A few salad
- ½ sliced spring onion
- 1 wedge of lime
- Once you have cooked the noodles, plunge them into cold water to chill them.
- In a bowl, mix the noodles, the beansprouts, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Drain the Baxters Deli Toppers Red Slaw and layer the bottom of a mason jar.
- Layer the noodles, the coriander, the red peppers on top.
- Top with spring onion and a wedge of lime.
- Before eating, shake the jar so that the salad self-dresses with the vinegar from the Baxters Deli Toppers Red Slaw and the oil and soy sauce on the noodles.
Other items in the Baxters Deli Toppers range of pickles include Red Onion, Spicy Slaw, Jalapeños as well as the Red Slaw we used here . RRP is £1.49 from the major supermarkets. They are perfect to keep in the store cupboard and to use to add flavour and crunch to your dishes.
To use up the rest of that jar of red slaw why not try
- Katie’s Halloumi and Three Bean Tacos
- Jac’s Vegan Mushroom Tarts with Pickled Slaw
- Sarah’s Spicy Roast Cauliflower with Red Slaw
Find out more about Baxters Deli Toppers on their microsite and enter their draw to win a jar.
Follow the conversation on social media with #GetTopping
Recipe for layered Mason jar salad with slaw commissioned by Baxters, all opinions our own.