Madeleines are best enjoyed within minutes of being taken out of the oven. Happily homemade madeleines are very easy to make and are so much nicer than shop or bakery bought ones will be by the time you have taken them home.
I’ve flavoured these with honey and orange and have used Pure sunflower spread which is dairy free and works so well in these fluffy cakes.
- 75g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower Spread – melted and cooled
- 2 Large Eggs
- 90g Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp honey
- 100g Plain Flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- Zest of one orange - finely grated
- Pinch of salt
- Weigh the Pure spread into a saucepan and gently heat until melted. Remove the pan from the hob and allow to cool, but not solidify.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they have doubled in size and are light and fluffy, add the honey and whisk again. Slowly fold in the flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt and salt.
- Slowly pour in the melted Pure spread, gently folding all the time until you have a foamy batter that is full of air. When mixed cover the bowl and put in the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
- Melt a little more Pure spread and brush it onto a Madeleine pan, allow to cool and then dust with flour.
- Heat the oven to 190C/ GM 5. Use a spoon to fill the Madeleine pan with the batter so each well is about ⅔ full and bake for 7 - 9 minutes until until risen, golden and shrinking away from the edges of the pan.
- Leave for a few minutes and then turn out. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve.
- The Madeleines are best enjoyed when still warm and crisp on the outside. They can be stored for a day but will lose that just cooked crisp outside.
Pure would like people to get involved in #bakedairyfree by baking their favourite recipes and uploading an image to Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag. Extra kudos to those baking completely free-from!
Each week Pure’s Queen Baker will pick a spot prize winner, and at the end of the competition the grand prize winner will take home a baking kit worth £1000, including items from Le Creuset, Kitchen Aid and more. The competition ends with the final episode of GBBO on the 22nd of October. Full details here.
For more dairy free baking with Pure, why not try
Recipe commissioned by Pure.