The most popular post on Fuss Free Flavours is my store cupboard bung it all in, mix and bake easy peasy ginger cake. I make it on a regular basis and have never had it go wrong, or fail to impress. Because all the ingredients are from the store cupboard you need neither eggs or butter making it frugal as well as vegan, and thus suitable for those with either diary of egg allergies.
My original recipe is now five years old, so it is time for an update (and some better photography) and the current incarnation is a sticky orange and date cake; all the ingredients apart from the orange are from the store cupboard, and the cake is still egg and diary free and vegan.
My dates were ancient and very very dried out so I gave them a soak before using, if you shop more frequently, or have better quality dates than I do then skip this stage.
- 100g dried dates, snipped into pieces and covered in boiling water and left to soak
- 350g Plain Flour
- 225g Sugar (I use soft dark brown for colour and flavour but any would work)
- 100g Cooking oil (Sunflower or rape/canola)
- Zest one large orange, finely grated
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- About 60g golden syrup
- Drain the dates, reserving the soaking water, make the volume of the date water up to 225ml.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl or your stand mixer and whizz until you have a smooth golden brown batter.
- Pour into 8” square pan lined with greaseproof paper (if needed) and bake at GM4/180C for about 25 – 30 mins until risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
By being vegan this cake is suitable for those with dairy and egg allergies, as well as being so easy to make that anyone could make it, providing you have some scales, a bowl, cake tin and oven, which makes it perfect toe the Waitrose Bake It Forward Campaign.
Waitrose’s #BakeItForward Campaign runs from now until the 23rd December and will be celebrating people’s bakes. To take part simply bake something special for a friend and share the results on social media using #BakeItForward. Everyday Waitrose will reward random people involved with festive treats, including hampers and bottles of champagne.
Here is Heston in a very snazzy Christmas jumper to tell you more!
I’ve received a Waitrose voucher and some Baking goodies to tell you about the campaign. All opinions are our own.