A very happy Easter to everyone. Normally Fuss Free Flavours is mainly fairly healthy, but Easter is upon us and a sinful pudding is allowed once in a while, and frankly the weather is London is so dreary that I think that a sinful pudding is mandatory for everyone. And it is Easter and this is a very easy fuss free pudding.
I never have really been a fan of bread and butter puddings as I have always had a bit of a texture problem with the eggy bread that to my mind is slimey and really not at all nice (I also cannot eat Chinese egg soups for a similar reason. But lots of people adore bread and butter puddings and I was determined to give them another try. For 4 people (well 3 greedy people) I only used one egg that seemed to do the trick in making a lovely custardy sauce that did not have a hint of eggyness or slime. I think I am converte.
Caramel Croissant (Bread) and Butter Pudding
- 6 oz (170 g) single cream
- 6 oz (170g) soft dark brown sugar
- 3 oz (85g) butter
- 2 tbs (30ml) brandy or rum
- 1 egg beaten
- pinch salt
- 3 day old croissants
- pat of butter
- Mix the egg into the cream, put all the sauce ingredients into a pan and heat gently stirring until the butter and sugar are melted and you have a thick golden caramel sauce I heated mine slightly too much and it curdled, but this did not affect the taste at all.
- Diagonally slice the croissants (to give bigger slices) and arrange in a greased oven proof dish and pour the hot sauce over. Bake at GM5 / 190C / 375F for about 30 mins. The sauce should have soaked into the croissants and be lovely and gooey and the croissant crusts should be crisp. Serve immediately with more cream. Resolve to exercise the next day!