This gin and sparkling apple juice makes an easy seasonal twist on a gin and tonic which is ideal to serve at a Christmas party. Cranberry ice cubes are easy to make, and really make it look so much more special. Gluten Free.
The season of Christmas parties is about to start, and there is the always the question of what to serve your guests. I like to have something different, but not too alcoholic, heavily spiced or anything that I am going to feel the effects of the day after.
I like to serve my guests something different, which is easy to prepare as well as looking appetising. In a twist on a the classic everyday G&T I have swapped the tonic for Appletiser, sparkling apple juice, and served with cranberry ice cubes, a stick of cinnamon, twist of lime and a slice of apple. It looks great with the jewelled cranberry ice cubes, tastes delicious, the cinnamon has a lovely Christmassy smell, and importantly it can be made as strong or as week, or even as a mocktail to each guest’s taste. An added bonus is that at a crowded party any spills won’t stain the carpet!
Appletiser has been made since 1966, and is popular world over, I remember greatly enjoying it through the years, and certainly as a child drank it for a treat.
If making this for a large number of people start making the ice cubes a good few days in advance – use the biggest ice cube tray you have for big chunky cubes, and prepare the lime and apple slices (stop them browning with a squeeze of lime) before your guests arrive. Make sure that everything is well chilled. I used a branded, but not a premium gin for these.
How to make Jewelled Ice Cubes
Fruit ice cubes like these cranberry ice cubes will make any drink look far more special. The trick is to freeze the fruit in the middle of the cube, and to make large ice cubes. I use a silicone mould that makes 15 cubes. Pop a few cranberries into the middle of the mould then half top up with water. If they float freeze with the ice cube tray half full. Once frozen top up with more water and refreeze.
A simply fuss free almost effortless trick for impressive serving.
Gin &Appletiser a refreshing Christmas Cocktail
- Cranberries - I used frozen
- Filtered water
- 50 ml / 2 shots of gin - chilled (use a branded label, but no need to splash out on premium)
- 250 ml Appletiser original - chilled
- 3 Cranberry ice cubes
- Cinnamon stick
- Slice apple
- Wedge of lime
- Place 4 cranberries in each compartment of an ice cube tray, top up with distilled water and freeze overnight. If the cranberries float, half fill the tray, allow to freeze then top up with more water.
- Pour the gin into a glass, top with with Appletiser, add the ice cubes, cinnamon stick and apple. Give the lime wedge a gentle squeeze and then add to the drink.
- Adapt for summer drinking with a sprig of mint in place of the cinnamon stick, and mint or lemon jewelled ice cubes
- This recipe is 10 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion
If you like Appletiser you may also like
- Sarah’s Appletiser Prosecco Cocktail with Brandy
- Katie’s Spiced Apple Mojito Cocktail with Appletiser
- Jac’s Green Apple Margarita with Appletiser
- Jeanne’s Toffee Apple Dessert Appletiser Cocktail
And for the spring you will love my rhubarb and ginger gin recipe.
Looking for a Feast Box? Then check out my Hello Fresh Christmas Box Review.
Carry on the cocktail chat using #CrownTheMoment
Fuss Free Flavours encourages you to drink responsibility. For advice please visit Drinkaware.
Recipe commissioned by Appletiser. All opinions our own.