To celebrate the release of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 on Blu-Ray and DVD on 17th February I’ve made an extra carroty and orange bolognese served topped with a puff pastry bunny who has appeared having smelt the yummy carrots! Super powered carorabbit will be more than enough match for the hoards of tacodiles, shrimpanzees, hippotatomuses and cheesespiders!
Inventor Flint Lockwood though he had saved the world when he destroyed his most famous invention – a machine that turned water into food causing cheeseburger rain and spaghetti tornadoes. But Flint soon learns that his invention survived and is now combining food and animals to create “foodimals!” Flint and his friends embark on a mouth-watering mission to battle hungry tacodiles, shrimpanzees, hippotatomuses, cheesespiders and other foodimals to save the world – again!
I’ve blitzed some of the carrots into the bolognese sauce to make it extra orange and more appealing to rabbits, and hopefully to those little ones who do not like veggies. You can also serve this as a pasta sauce. The cute bunny head cutter is available from Hobbycraft.
And if you are looking for a meatless pasta, then check out my version here.
Recipe: Extra Carroty Bolognese
- Glug vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled & finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic – peeled & finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots – peeled and finely chopped
- 440 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 g beef mince
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and carrots until they soften. Add the tinned tomatoes and allow to gently simmer for a few minutes. If you wish, blitz some of the sauce with stick blender to make a smooth orange coloured sauce.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking fry the mince in a frying pan over a medium heat until browned. Stir in the flour and cook for a few more minutes. Add the mince to the sauce and allow to gently simmer until cooked through.
- Using a rabbit shaped cutter cut shapes from a sheet of ready rolled puff pasty and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the bolognese in a pie dish topped with an (optional) sprinkle of cheese and the puff pastry rabbit.
This is sponsored post and recipe development commission. Fuss Free Flavours received products & remuneration to compensate for time, skills, knowledge and costs incurred in developing the recipe and writing this post.
Many thanks to Hobbycraft for the rabbit cookie cutter.