This lightly spiced apple polenta cake is delicious, easy to make and easily gluten free.
Apple Polenta Cake
This loaf cake is delicious, quick and easy to make as well as being easily gluten free.
Lightly spiced, moist from the grated apple, with a crunch from extra almonds it has a dense moist crumb.
Baking with Polenta
Polenta, or ground cornmeal makes a delicious alternative ingredient for a cake, adding texture, crunch and colour.
Polenta is naturally gluten free and is a popular ingredient for anyone who needs to avoid gluten. If you aren’t gluten free its possible you haven’t baked with it before, which is a shame, as it adds so much to cakes.
If you are going to bake for a coeliac friend please take great care over any cross contamination issues. A microscopic amount of gluten can do a lot of damage. Even a speck of flour in your sugar jar can be transferred to your bake and cause problems. You cannot be too careful.
Apple Polenta Cake
First, gather the ingredients and preheat the oven to GM 5/190°C/375°F. Grease and line a 1 lb loaf tin.
Fuss Free Tip
I like to use binder or fold back clips to hold baking parchment in place while I pour the batter into the tin. Remove them before baking.
Step 1 – Beat the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until fluffy.
Step 2 – Add the eggs and a tablespoon of flour. Then beat again.
Step 3 – Fold in the remainder of the ingredients (apart from the flaked almonds).
Step 4 – Pour the batter into the loaf tin. Smooth the top of the batter and scatter the flaked almonds over.
Step 5 – Bake for 20–25 minutes. When it is ready, the cake should be fragrant, golden and well risen.
More Easy Cakes
- Dorset Apple Cake – A classic British bake
- Marmalade Loaf Cake – coated with a marmalade glaze
- Olive Oil Cake – flavoured with fresh orange
- Easy ginger cake – fail proof, one bowl and vegan
Spiced Apple, Almond and Polenta Cake
- 100 g butter (or baking margarine – softened)
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50 g polenta
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 apple (grated)
- 1 tsp flaked almonds (optional)
- Beat the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until fluffy.100 g butter, 100 g soft light brown sugar
- Add the eggs and a tablespoon of polenta. Then beat again.2 eggs, 50 g polenta
- Fold in the remainder of the ingredients (apart from the flaked almonds).50 g polenta, 50 g ground almonds, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 pinch salt, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 apple
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin. Smooth the top of the batter and scatter the flaked almonds over.50 g ground almonds
- Bake for 20–25 minutes. When it is ready, the cake should be fragrant, golden and well risen.