These easy to make Salami canapés will be the star of your party food table. Low carb crispy baked salami cases can be made ahead of time and filled with a variety of fillings topped with delicious Parmigiano Reggiano, the King of Cheeses!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE party food! Generally strongly flavoured, bite sized and delicious there is nothing better than being at a party with a constant stream of canapés being bought round to soak up the prosecco and cocktails! I’ve been known to buy a few trays when they are on offer from the supermarket and have a party food buffet for supper.
The problem with homemade party food is that generally it is a fiddle to make, I usually buy ready made canapé cases – the supermarkets have excellent ones – and then make a filling. They say life is too short to stuff a mushroom, but it isn’t too short to fill a ready made canapé case.
These salami cases are low carb, gluten free (but check the ingredients as some salami contains wheat as a filler and in the casing) and are remarkably simple to make the day before your party. Simple keep in an airtight tin in a cool place before filling and reheating before serving.
How to make a Salami Canapé Case
Simple press a slice of salami into a mini muffin pan, adjust the sides so the creases are evenly spaced out, push a crumpled up ball of foil into the middle and bake at Gas 5 /190 C / 325 F for about 10 minutes until crispy.
Allow to cool a little, remove the cooked salami canapé case from the pan and stand on kitchen paper to absorb some of the fat. Wipe the pan out and make the next batch. Store in an airtight tin in a cool place
To finish the salami canapé cases fill them with your choice of fillings and pop back into the oven. I went for a seasonal mix of leftover cooked turkey (or chicken) some blue cheese, cranberry sauce and some shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano, once heated through and the cheese has melted top with another shaving of Parmesan, a sprinkle of black pepper and some chopped herbs before serving. Ideal for serving at all your parties, Christmas, New Year or any other occasion.
Parmigiano Reggiano is known as the King of Cheeses and has been made in the same way for the last 900 years. It is one of the classic Italian hard cheeses, richly flavoured, nutty and intense. It is easy to digest and also rich in calcium. Parmigiano Reggiano has be be matured for at least 12 months and can only be produced in Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Bologna to the west of the Reno River and Mantua to the east of the Po River
It is a PDO product which means that it is protected by EU law, and that there are rules governing its production method, ingredients used and location of where it can be made. The PDO protects both the consumer; you know you are buying a cheese which has a guaranteed quality, and the producer who can charge a premium price for a premium product.
Salami Canapé Cases
- 24 slices Italian Salami ((large slices))
- 100 g leftover chicken or turkey
- 4 tbs cranberry sauce
- 50 g soft blue cheese
- 20 g Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan)
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5 /190 C / 325 F
- Place a slice of salami into each of the wells of a mini muffin pan and press down. Place a small ball of crumpled aluminum foil into each one,
- Bake for about 10 minutes until starting to become crisp.
- Remove from the tray, remove the foil and stand on kitchen paper to absorb and melted fat. Save the foil balls to reuse in the next batch.
- Replace the salami cups in the muffin pan and fill with a mix of cold meats, chutney or cranberry sauce and soft cheese. Top each with a slither of Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Bake at Gas 5 /190 C / 325 F for about 5 minutes until hot and the cheese has melted.
- To serve arrange on a board or plate topped with another slither of Parmigiano Reggiano and a sprinkle of black pepper and some fresh herbs.
- The salami canapé cases can be made a day ahead and kept in a airtight container in a cool place.
- When filling them put something solid at the bottom, such as a piece of chicken or turkey to stop the melted cheese leaking out of the bottom.
- Other filing ideas include - sun dried tomato pieces, sweetcorn, chilli, cooked mushrooms etc.
Recipe for Salami Canapé Cases commissioned by Parmigiano Reggiano, all opinions our own. Read more about Parmigiano Reggiano.