Last year I was sent what seemed to be a vat of Total Greek Yoghurt to sample, and last week I was lucky enough to receive some samples of the latest addition to their range. I seem to have developed into a routine of baking with review samples, and this was no exception.
The latest addition to Total’s range are the new split pots which combine natural fat-free Greek Yoghurt with a side portion of honey or fruit compote.
The yoghurt is made from just skimmed milk and live yoghurt cultures to create a 100% natural Total yoghurt. They come in 4 flavours; honey, blueberry, tropical fruit or strawberry.
TOTAL 0% split pots are the perfect fat-free indulgence, with no artificial sweeteners and no compromise on taste. Higher in protein than other yoghurts, these convenient little pots have less than 130 calories per pot (the one with honey which is 167 calories).
And they are delicious! Mine rapidly disappeared from the fridge and I had to save some for cooking with. Despite being fat free the yoghurt is rich, satisfying and creamy. Al the compotes are delicious, packed with fruit and with plenty of texture. My only criticism is that the bottom of the compote pot is slightly too small to easily scrape with my teaspoons.
What better to make with my Total than breakfast muffins? After all muffins do seem to be my signature bake! These are moist, well risen with the compote providing a delicious filling.
Blueberry and Yoghurt Muffins
- 4.5 oz plain flour (I used half spelt and half normal flour)
- 1.5 oz sugar
- Zest 1/2 Orange
- 1 tsp baking power
- pinch salt
- Yoghurt from one Total split pot* (about 4oz)
- 1 egg
- 2 oz milk (soy or regular)
- 2 oz sunflower oil
- Blueberry compote from a Total spilt pot
- 1 tsp rolled oats
- Pour the wet ingredients into a jug and whisk with a fork. Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together (the batter should be lumpy and mixing should take no more than 15 folds). Divide half the mixture out into the muffin pan, add a blob of compote to each muffin and then top with the remainder of the batter and sprinkle with the oats. Bake at GM5/190C/375F for 20 – 25 mins until risen.
- Eat warm from the oven, but beware of hot scalding compote!
TOTAL 0% split pot in Honey, Blueberry, Strawberry & Tropical Fruits are available in most Waitrose stores. Retail recommended price £1.09 – or £0.79 as introductory offer until 1st April.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the spelling of yoghurt? I think I prefer yogurt, which Wikipedia tells me is the more common spelling in the UK & US. (Total use Yoghurt). And it might be better not to get into the long vs short O pronunciation debate!
Thanks to Total for my free samples.