When Padron peppers are in season and we can find them at the supermarket we buy them at every opportunity. As well as being delicious these bite sized peppers are seriously addictive, and to add to the fun, 1 in 30 will have some heat and a kick.
It has become a tradition when at Ed’s sister’s house in the Cotswolds to have Padron peppers as an appetizer every evening, with a glass of wine, prosecco or sherry. Simply cook them, then pick them up by their stems to eat, popping each one in your mouth whole!
How to cook Padron peppers
Padron peppers are very easy to cook, simple pour a good glug of good quality olive oil into a pan and rapidly fry over a hot flame until the peppers blister then slightly blacken. serve straight from the pan liberally sprinkled with seasalt.
It is a fact universally acknowledged that in the summer, most things are best cooked on the BBQ, and, if they are savoury, are immeasurably improved by the addition of cheese.
We cooked our Padron peppers directly on the BBQ in cast iron gratin dishes of the type that sizzling Fajitas are served in at Mexican restaurants. Being solid cast iron these dishes can both withstand and retain a huge amount of heat, cooking food faster, and keeping it warmer for longer. They really are ideal for BBQ cooking, and we are converts to cooking in pans on the BBQ grill.
- Glug oil
- 1 packet Padron peppers
- 5cm chorizo - cut into 1cm chunks (optional)
- 50g cheddar cheese - grated
- 50g mozzarella - shreadded
- Light the BBQ and leave to heat.
- Place a cast iron gratin dish on the bars, close the BBQ and allow it to heat.
- Add the oil, and once it starts to shimmer add the peppers.
- Close the BBQ so they get really hot.
- Check and turn the peppers from time to time.
- Once the peppers have started to blister add the chorizo, stir and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Finally top with the mixed cheese. Allow the cheese to melt and to bubble and brown around the edges.
- Liberally season with salt.
Our cast iron dishes with serving boards are from the Judge cookware Sizzle & Serve Range. The range is suitable for all hob types and barbeques, and is oven-safe up to 240°C. All items come with a maple wood board. Our 11 x 16cm dishes are the perfect size for one serving and retail at £15. Other sizes are available. Thank you to Judge for our samples.