This easy side of smashed cucumber and minted peas is perfect for serving with all types of fish.
These smashed cucumbers and peas flavoured with mint are a cool twist on the classic mushy peas that is traditionally served with fish and chips here in the UK.
I am not a fan of mushy peas, but I do like sweet tender petit-pois, and I always keep a bag in my freezer – they cook in minutes and are ideal for adding a splash of colour, sweetness and flavour to many dishes and, of course, pair perfectly with fish.
This recipe is perfect for serving with many of the offerings from the equally cool Saucy Fish Co., who have just been named a One of Britian’s CoolBrands for the 4th year running.
The Saucy Fish Co. are on a mission to make fish accessible and less daunting to everyone, and their eye catching range of fish with matching sauces has made cooking fish fuss-free for many Brits and converted them to being fish fanatics.
We’ve been fans for sometime, so I am delighted to have been asked by the Saucy Fish Co. to come up with a cool recipe to celebrate their 4th year as a cool brand.
Cool Smashed Cucumber & Minted Peas
- 10 cm cucumber (cut into 1/2 cm slices)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Sprig of fresh mint
- Placed the sliced cucumber into a sieve and sprinkle the salt over. Leave for 20 - 30 minutes for the salt to draw some of the liquid out. Rinse and drain.
- Put the peas into a bowl of warm water to defrost.
- Wrap the cucumber in clean tea towel and give it a really good squeeze to remove some more liquid.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor or mini chopper and pulse until finely chopped. Season to taste.
- Chill before serving.
The full Saucy Fish Co. range is available direct from the new online Saucy Shop, which is having a flash half price sale for the next 4 days. (T&Cs apply)
Recipe for smashed cucumber and minted peas commissioned by the Saucy Fish Co. All opinions our own.