This easy recipe for vegan peanut butter muffins is ideal for a weekend breakfast. No mixer needed and prepare in advance.
(This is not a good photo as the peanut butter is almost the same colour as the muffins, but if you look closely you can see a large dollop of peanut butter oozing from the top of the muffin)
We have just had a holiday in a lovely self catering cottage in the West of the West of Cornwall and naturally I packed my silicone muffin tray just in case we had muffins for breakfast.
I had about 1/3 of a jar of peanut butter that I wanted to use up – slightly too much for my usual method of using up peanut butter (long handled teaspoon, mug of coffee, comfy sofa, spoon PB from jar to mouth making sure you get every last morsel from the jar)
I made these to my usual vegan muffin recipe and reduced the fat – but if you prefer use the standard sweet muffin batter, a ratio of half spelt to plain flour seems to work the best, if you do not have spelt four, just use plain flour instead.
Love Peanut Butter? Then check out my Peanut Butter Quesadillas!
Easy vegan peanut butter muffins
- 2.5 oz spelt flour
- 2.5 oz plain flour
- 1 oz golden granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 5 oz soy milk (You could try nut milk for a richer muffin. Dairy milk works too.)
- 1 oz sunflower oil
- large dollop peanut butter (I used 1 oz but you could easily double this amount. Sunpat smooth peanut butter is perfect.)
- extra peanut butter
- Heat the oven to GM 5/190°C/375°F. Sift the flour and spices and get rid of any big lumps from the sugar by rubbing them between your fingers. Have a silicone muffin tray ready or put your muffin cases into a tray, ready to go.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the oil and milk. Add these to the dry ingredients along with a dollop of peanut butter. Fold together gently to make a lumpy batter. Mixing should take no more than 15 folds
- Put your mixture into the cases. Then push a small spoonful of peanut butter down into the top of the batter in each case, so that it is almost submerged. Sprinkle a few oats on top.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Eat easy peanut butter muffins fresh from the oven, while the peanut butter is still oozing!