These ham and cheese stuffed chicken breasts are delicious, quick and easy to make and a real treat when you want a tasty meal that’s a bit special but with minimum fuss.
Chicken breasts are so easy and versatile. Whether just frying, or roasting with some garlic for a weeknight supper, or going that little bit further and answering that yearning for proper Southern fried chicken, it’s a really adaptable meat that is always well received. We’ve gone a little further with these ham and cheese stuffed chicken breasts, but preparation is still quick work and the result is so tasty that you’re sure to love them; the combination of all three ingredients is a real winner.
Cooking these stuffed chicken breasts is ever so simple. Slice the chicken breasts so that they open up like a book, fill with slices of Princes canned ham and some of your favourite cheese, and use a cocktail stick to keep everything in its place. Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, and serve. For a chilly winter’s evening, we serve them with some green vegetable and maybe a warming baked potato, but serve with whatever you most fancy along with a blob of ketchup or some of my Bloody Mary tomato sauce. The great thing about this dish is not only is it delicious when first cooked but it also makes for great left-overs. Slice the chicken breasts the next day for a wonderful sandwich filling or in a salad for a packed lunch,
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices Princes canned ham
- 4 slices cheese (strongly flavoured)
- 1 glug oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chill the ham in the fridge for a few hours, or over night before using to make it easier to slice.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Use a sharp knife to make a pocket along the length of each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Put a slice of ham and cheese into each piece of chicken, and thread a cocktail stick through each side to hold the pocket closed. Season the skin with pepper and salt.
- Place in to an oiled oven proof dish and roast for 35 – 40 minutes until cooked through and the skin is crispy.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and potatoes along with any crispy cheese from the pan.
Recipes like this: quick and easy, but which result in delicious food, are such a treasure that it’s a shame to keep them to yourself. So if you have a recipe for great food that’s good value using Princes Canned meat, share it over at Come Home to Princes, where you find lots of other recipes, including some more from me. There is a grand prize of £3000 for the best recipe on offer, as well as a draw for a supermarket voucher each week.
Recipe for Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken commissioned by Princes. All opinions our own.