Recipe: Buttered Rum Berry Syllabub
For the Buttered Rum Berries:
- 20 g butter
- 20 g white sugar
- 20 ml rum
- 100 g mixed berries (I used half blueberry and half raspberry)
For the Syllabub:
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 dsp icing sugar
- 1 tbs juice from the buttered rum berries
- 2 tbs dry white wine or champagne
- 100 g mixed berries
- 1 tbs flaked almonds – toasted (optional)
- 2 sprigs of mint (optional)
- Put the butter, sugar and rum into a small pan and heat until melted. Add the berries and gently cook for a few minutes until the berries are soft, but still holding their shape and the liquid is syrupy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk the cream, sugar, juice and wine or champagne together until thickened, but still floppy.
- Divide the berry mixture between two glasses. Gently dollop the cream mixture over the meringue. I use a jam funnel to get it neatly into the glass. Smooth it down if needed.
- Top with the fresh berries, toasted almonds and a sprig of mint.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Who could not love a syllabub? An indulgent cloud of softly whipped sweetened cream and champagne. Delicious, light and super easy to make too it ticks my boxes for the requisite effort to glory ratio. Serve in a glass to impress. Perfect for a romantic meal in too.
This recipe was developed to mark the launch of Match.com’s Aphrodisiac Cafés which will offer a romantic and delicious menu with aphrodisiac ingredients such as oysters, asparagus and chocolate, which will be offered to Match.com members at socials this summer.
If you fancy trying out the menu pop along to London’s Soho Square tomorrow (14th August) between 11 – 2 enjoy the food, and maybe who knows who you might meet!
To find out more about other aphrodisiac dining events visit Match.com.
This is a sponsored recipe development commission for Match. All opinions are our own.
Sarah, Maison Cupcake
Very elegant, quick and easy. For evenings when you have better things to do than slave in the kitchen!
I love syllabubs. So easy and so impressive.
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
You had me at ‘buttered rum’ – gorgeous!
I am delighted that you approve Becca!
Ah, the syllabub! A dessert that is due a revival simply because the name is so much fun to say :) And anything featuring the words “buttered rum” are a winner in my book…
I love the idea of reviving a pud purely because of the name!
Taste of Beirut
Simply divine! I loved the presentation, as well.
Ooooh, this looks so lovely and pretty!! I have such a sweet tooth that it’s silly so anything fruity, chocolatey or generally sweet I’m loving :)
Looks yummy :)