This tasty celery and lentil soup is rich, hearty and filling. Use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge and add leftover cheese rinds for extra flavour.
My Celery and Lentil Soup
Celery works very well in soup and stews, its bright, sharp character tamed and mellowed by cooking. If you have a veg box I expect you will know the spring time celery glut well!
I am not a great fan of celery as a snack, but I do think a good celery soup is delicious. Here, I have combined it with hearty lentils and some green vegetables for a substantial and nutritious lunch dish.
I will confess that this is one of those dishes born out of the need to use things up. It is no less good for that, however. I used a whole head of celery for this recipe. I also used up the remnants of two bags of lentils, (or you can use just one type), plus some lonely veggies from the bottom of the fridge.
Make a big batch of this soup at the weekend for easy lunches. It will freeze and can be reheated on the hob or in the microwave. I have allowed for eight portions but you can halve the recipe if you have no space in the freezer.
Waste Nothing with Flavour!
Any chef will tell you that in a professional kitchen nothing that tastes good ever goes to waste. One of my secret ingredients is the cheese rind pot in the freezer. All the cheese rinds get stashed in there ready for soups, risottos and stews!
How to Make Celery and Lentil Soup
Step one – Fry the celery and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes in a large saucepan.
Step two – Add all the other ingredients. Stir and then cover with boiling water.
Step three – Simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
Step four – Blitz in the liquidiser or with a stick blender. Then season to taste, adding more water if needed. Serve your celery and lentil soup with fresh bread.
Hints, Tips & Variations
- Make soup in larger quantities to last for a couple of days and provide extra for the freezer. Freeze by the portion in microwave-proof containers and take it to work frozen to save any leaks in your bag!
- I used a mix of lentils when I made this, but any type would do.
- Vary the vegetables. Use cauliflower, leafy greens (add at the end of cooking), celeriac or a wedge of swede for that all important extra veg!
Celery & Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head celery (roughly chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 200 g mixed lentils (1 cup)
- handful of cheese rinds (I keep a pot for them in the freezer)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 handful green vegetables ( I used a handful of frozen broccoli)
- salt and pepper ( to taste)
- Fry the celery and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes in a large saucepan.
- Add all the other ingredients. Stir and then cover with boiling water.
- Simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- Blitz in the liquidiser or with a stick blender. Then season to taste, adding more water if needed.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in August 2011, but was rewritten and republished with step by step instructions and hints & tips in February 2020.