Stilton steak sauce takes a few minutes to make whilst you are cooking steak, and really lifts it to a restaurant quality meal; try this easy sauce next time. It’s keto too!
Stilton Steak Sauce
I love a good quality steak and adding a sauce makes it one of my favourite meals, but it is something that can be expensive when I eat out. But why save simple dishes like this for restaurants? Steaks are easy to cook, and yield a delicious result, perfect for an end-of-the-week pick-me-up treat, a romantic meal at home or a dinner party.
I love adding this richly flavoured creamy Stilton sauce with my steak to make it a really fully flavoured treat. As an added bonus it’s really quick and easy to make at home, with only eight simple ingredients and three stages.
While I made this sauce with creamy Stilton, it would work with any blue cheese. So if you don’t have Stilton, but do have Roquefort or Gorgonzola in your fridge then don’t worry, just use that, and let me know in the comments how it worked for you.
This sauce is too good to restrict to steak; it’s also delicious with chicken or as a dip for chips or potato wedges.
Fuss Free Tips for cooking the perfect steak
I like to cook my steak on a searing hot griddle pan; my top tips with steak are first, oil the steak – not the pan, and second, don’t move it round whilst cooking.
Flip your steak once, then when it is cooked pop it onto a warmed plate and cover it with a piece of foil for a few minutes to rest. By allowing it to rest all the juice will be reabsorbed into the meat leaving you with a lovely juicy steak
How to make Quick and Easy Stilton Steak Sauce
Grab your ingredients – and peel and chop the onion and garlic.
Step one – Melt the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat, and fry the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt until starting to turn golden. Whilst it is cooking use a fork to crumble the Stilton.
Step two – Turn the heat down and add the cream, then the Stilton.
Step three – Allow to simmer over a low heat stirring all the time until the Stilton has melted. Add a squeeze of lemon (or a splash of dry white wine, Champagne or prosecco) to cut through the richness and lighten the sauce.
The Stilton sauce is ready when it has thickened and it coats the back of a spoon or you can draw a line in the bottom of the pan. Check the seasoning and serve.
Perfect Stilton Sauce for Steak – Hints and Tips
- Frozen leftover Stilton can be used in this recipe.
- There is no need to remove the rind.
- Any strong blue cheese would be delicious. Try Roquefort, soft cheeses like Gorgonzola or Dolcelatte.
- Don’t skip the lemon juice – it cuts through the richness and makes a big difference to the flavour. Take care not to accidentally add any pips (seeds) as they taste horrible if you accidentally crunch one.
- If you don’t have lemon then add a splash of dry white wine, champagne or prosecco.
- If the sauce gets too thick then add a splash of milk to thin it.
- You can make this Stilton sauce ahead and reheat to serve.
Stilton steak sauce takes a few minutes to make whilst you are cooking steak, and really lifts it to a restaurant quality meal; try this easy sauce next time. It's keto too!
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 60 ml double cream
- 50 g Stilton (crumbled. You can use any other blue cheese)
- 1 splash milk (if needed)
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt until starting to turn golden.
Turn the heat down and add the cream, then the Stilton. Stir over a low heat until the Stilton has melted. If needed thin the sauce with a splash of milk
Add a squeeze of lemon to cut through the richness and lighten the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Prepare in advance and then reheat. Add milk to thin if needed.
- You can save time and use pre-chopped frozen onion. When I have half an onion spare, I dice it, freeze it (spread out on a silicone mat), and keep it in the freezer in an airtight plastic box.
- This recipe is 9 Weight Watchers Smart Points per portion.
10 Sauces for Steak
If you enjoyed my Stilton steak sauce then you might like these other sauces for steak
- Mojo Rojo Steak Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Steak Sauce
- Sweet & Smokey BBQ Steak Sauce
- Spanish Spice Rub with Red Wine and Pepper Steak Sauce
- Hot & Spicy Buffalo Sriracha Sauce
- Tkemali – Georgian Plum Sauce
- Mojo Verde Steak Sauce
- Red Goddess Marinade
- Béarnaise sauce for steak
- Herb, and other flavoured butters for steak
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in 2016, but was rewritten and republished with new photos, step by step instructions and hints & tips in February 2019.