I think that brunch is one of my favourite meals, (at this point I can almost hear numerous people saying “but Helen you say that about every meal!”, but you know I really, really, really like brunch). A substantial breakfast, with non traditional breakfast foods, and, if the occasion is right, a cheeky Bloody Mary to accompany it. Brunch works at home or out, with a group or on your own.
A good brunch dish will contain the holy grail of carbohydrate, some fat, and ideally a runny egg. My perfect brunch is probably eggs Benedict and is what I nearly always order in hotels for breakfast or when out for brunch. By the time brunch time comes along, then the ideal accompaniment is a good Bloody Mary, made with a premium vodka such as Ketel One.
I love tomato juice and will nearly always make myself, or order a classic Bloody Mary – nicely spicy, with a good squeeze of lemon and served with some celery salt, but for those who do not like tomato juice, or who would like to ring the changes, Ketel One has a World Class Brunch menu, with 10 different Bloody Mary’s to suit every taste and dish. How about a beetroot Bloody Mary to accompany a Swedish smorgasbod, or an apple, pear and carrot juice based Bloody Mary to accompany a Brazilian based brunch?
My brunch dish is a simple puff pastry based pastry or tart, topped with pesto and cheese, and topped with the obligatory runny egg and some avocado and served of course with a Bloody Mary.
- ½ packet ready rolled all butter puff pastry
- 4 dsp pesto
- 100g feta - cubed
- 50g cheddar cheese - grated
- 4 eggs
- 2 avocado
- Cut the pastry into 4 rectangles, and lightly score a line ½ cm round the edge of each one.
- Spread each rectangle of pastry with a spoon of pesto and top with the feta and cheddar.
- Bake the pastry as per the packet instructions until puffed, golden and the cheese has melted.
- Served topped with a poached egg, ½ a sliced avocado with a Ketel One Bloody Mary of your choice.
- 50ml Ketel One Vodka
- 120ml tomato juice
- 1tsp horseradish
- 1 pinch salt, ground pepper and allspice
- 1tsp olive oil
- Rim your glass with smoked paprika and salt before adding the ingredients to the glass. Stir vigorously and fill with ice. Garnish with a celery stalk, long cucumber slice and a float of sherry.
What is your favourite brunch dish, and what Bloody Mary would you pair with it?
Why not also try Sarah’s rye toast with a Bloody Mary topping.
Fuss Free Flavours encourages you to drink mindfully. For advice on sensible drinking please visit Drinkaware.
Recipe & post commissioned by Ketel One Vodka. all opinions our own.
Concrete effect wallpaper used in photography available from Furnish.co.uk £199 a roll. We received a sample piece.