This quick cook mini roast is glazed with coriander and chutney and is perfect for mid-week dining
The Sunday roast is a British institution, and when I was growing up, it would be a rare Sunday when we did not have a roast lunch, with leftovers being used, in various guises, for the following few days.
Nowadays things have changed and fewer families sit down for a roast on Sunday. Ed and I certainly eat fewer roasts, which is a shame, as I miss the Sunday roast. Well happily there is a new roast in town – the mini roast which is perfect for a week night supper.
A mini roast will cook in around 40 minutes meaning that supper can be on the table in an hour, which is ideal for for two to share after work on a week night. Smaller joints are less of an investment for trying out new recipes, and also there are no leftovers – ideal if you are often away, or do not eat at home all the time. The mini roast is adaptable and other ideas for cooking one include a teriyaki beef with noodles or lamb with a delicious pistachio crust.
I choose to make Simply Beef & Lamb’s chutney and coriander glazed beef mini roast; the meat is covered with crushed coriander seed and pepper, roasted on a bed of onions, then covered with a glaze of fruity chutney and coriander. It was delicious, an excellent use of one of those half eaten pots of chutney in the fridge. I can see that this recipe will come out again and again, with different herbs, chutneys and even meats.
To be sure you are buying farm assured quality meat look out for the Red Tractor logo on the packets in the supermarket. Both beef and lamb carrying the log can be traced back to the farm it came from, and carries assurance that standards covering hygiene, safety, environmental protection and animal welfare are all met.
For more information about the scheme, and more ideas for a delicious mini roast visit Simply Beef & Lamb, and if you have half a bunch of coriander leftover I’ve got lots of recipes using coriander here.
Beef Mini Roast with a Chutney and Coriander Glaze
- 1 350-400g Beef mini roast (E.g. Topside)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp coriander seeds (crushed)
- 1 whole garlic bulb, (unpeeled and broken into cloves)
- 2 whole red onions (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil (canola oil)
- 2 tbsp fruit chutney
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (freshly chopped)
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the joint on a large chopping board. Make several incisions over the joint. Season on both sides and coat in the crushed coriander seeds.
- Put the onion and garlic on the base of a non-stick roasting tin, drizzle with the oil, position the beef on top and open roast for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with any meat juices. In a small bowl mix the chutney and coriander together.
- Remove the tin from the oven and brush the beef with the chutney and coriander glaze. Return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the beef and serve with the garlic, red onions and cheesy potatoes.
Recipe feature of beef mini roast commissioned by Simply Beef and Lamb. All opinions our own.