Mexican pulled chicken with black beans is an easy make ahead dish ideal for filling tortillas, or tacos
I’ve said numerous times before that I love finger food and canapés. I have a slightly lethal-for-the-waistline habit at parties of making sure I’m standing in the peak spot to pick up canapés as they come past. Somewhere on the route from the kitchen, but not obviously so, usually does it for me – you will always find me near the kitchen door at parties! There is something really rather lovely about miniature food – possibly because you can have more of them?
Ed and I have been on a bit of a tortilla wrap frenzy this summer, with them making an appearance most lunchtimes stuffed full of a variety of fillings. They might be the perfect vehicle and if you tuck the sides in and roll them up tightly, they are remarkably good at containing the juicy contents.
If you are not so good at rolling wraps, the new Mini Stand ‘n’ Stuff Tortillas from Old El Paso are perfect, with no dripping at all. Because they are small (not quite bite sized) they are ideal for a snack, light meal or for children, or you can stuff with a variety of fillings and enjoy a number for a more substantial meal. I think they would make rather good boats for a child’s party too.
I filled mine with a spicy mix of Mexican pulled chicken and black beans, covered with cheese and some pickled jalapeños, then put into the oven for 10 minutes to reheat and to melt the cheese. These would make a ideal starter for a Mexican night, canapés, or a light lunch. You can make the pulled chicken in advance and keep in the fridge for a few days, or even freeze it, making these the perfect fuss-free meal to pull together after you have been out all day. Simply stuff, reheat and serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, coriander and a squeeze of lime. As a quick, easy and very effective vehicle for guacamole – another one of our weaknesses – I can see these stuffed mini tortillas becoming a bit of a habit.
Mexican pulled chicken with black beans
For the pulled chicken
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion (peeled &chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (Peelied chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp chilli flake (according to taste)
- 1 tsp tsp sweet paprika
- 6 skinless (boneless chicken thighs each cut into quarters)
- 1 cup roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbs heaped honey
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tps pickled jalapeños
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Coriander
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Pour the oil into a small cast iron casserole dish. Fry the onion over a low heat until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Grind the cumin, coriander and chilli. Add the spice mix and the sweet paprika to onion and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes. Add tomato and few slices of fresh chilli according to taste. Stir in the honey.
- Place the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for an hour.
- When cooked, shred the chicken, stir through the black beans, add the pickled jalapeños with some of the vinegar to balance the sweetness of the chicken if desired.
- If the sauce needs thickening mix the cornflour with a little water to make a thin paste and stir through the chicken mixture. Return to the oven to heat through.
- To serve spoon the pulled chicken into 12 mini tortilla shells, and top with the grated cheese. heat in the oven until piping hot, and the cheese has melted.
Serve piled high with as many toppings as you think you can manage before they all slide off.
Recipe for Mexican pulled chicken with black beans commissioned by Old El Paso. All opinions our own.
Old El Paso Mini Stand ‘n’ Stuff Tortillas available from all major supermarkets RRP £2.29.