Marinade and freeze chicken pieces for delicious kebabs with no fuss. Prep ahead at its best.
Regardless of if you are a planner or someone rather more spontaneous, it is always great to have food on hand that you can use to produce a meal from with the minimum of fuss. I am fairly sure that I can produce a meal for 4 from the contents of my kitchen and freezer at any time and I have a number of freezer tricks that I have learnt over the years to help me do this. My freezer nearly always contains:-
- Lemon and lime slices – perfect for adding to a G&T
- Cooked beans and pulses – dunk in a bowl of water to defrost – use for dips or salads
- Portions of pasta sauce – these defrost whilst the pasta is cooking
- Nearly cooked risotto – defrost in the microwave and finish in a pan on the hob
- Fresh pizza dough and toppings
- Frozen herbs – add to anything
- Frozen bananas, grapes and berries for smoothies
- Fish fingers
LG has a series of really useful freezer tips and tricks to help you out with family meals, dinner parties and summer BBQs – did you know you can BBQ steak and pizza from frozen?
My freezer trick for prepare ahead summer BBQs is to cut up your meat and freeze in its marinade, it intensifies the flavour and means that all you have to do is defrost in the fridge overnight, or on the counter for a few hours then assemble the kebabs. Pre marinaded then frozen meat is also perfect for stirfries, or serving with a salad.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs - cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 red pepper - cut into chunks
- 1 green pepper - cut into chunks
- 8 bamboo skewers - soaked in water
Place the chicken, oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic into a freezer container and stir well. Seal and freeze.
Allow to defrost in the fridge overnight - or on the counter for a few hours.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers, and bake in the oven at 170C/ 150C Fan / GM5 for about 20 minutes until cooked through or grill on the BBQ for about 10 minutes turning regularly.
Take care that all frozen chicken is properly defrosted before cooking it, and it is cooked right through before eating. I prefer to cook chicken in the oven and then finish it on the BBQ for a few minutes.
If you are having a BBQ you might also like my:-
- Yoghurt chicken tikka kebabs
- Balsamic & redcurrant BBQ lamb chops
- BBQ maple hake on a cedarwood plank
What are your top freeze ahead tips?
Recipe commissioned by LG. All opinions our own.