A leftover turkey and ham pie is a seasonal classic and will appear on many tables after both Christmas and Thanksgiving.
In the days that follow the main festival warming comforting food is very much still in order and on the menu, but I still want to eat relatively healthily (or at least leave some room for Stilton and chocolates – talking of Stilton my Stilton steak sauce is delicious with leftover Christmas Stilton), so I’ve made some substitutions to make these pies slightly lighter and smaller.
An individual serving always looks more appealing and impressive and also cuts out the need for a second helping. I have made the sauce lighter by using a mix of semi skimmed milk and stock (if you are using home made stock make sure to skim the fat off, and also to dilute it a little with water). Finally the topping is made from one sheet of filo pastry, scrunched up to give lots of volume and texture, but with far fewer calories and bulk than regular pastry.
Here’s how to cook the perfect Christmas Turkey and what to do with all the leftovers!
Leftover Turkey & Ham Pies, with a filo crunch
- 30 g butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 200 ml turkey or chicken stock
- 120 ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tbs cranberry sauce
- 250 g leftover roasted turkey - mix of white and brown meat - diced
- 80 g leftover roast ham - diced
- 60 g sweetcorn
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Place the butter into a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat, add the flour and stir in to make a smooth paste. Cook for a few minutes stirring all the time.
- Slowly start to add the stock, bit by bit stirring all the time, until you have a smooth liquid and no lumps. Add the remainder of the stock and the milk and simmer until you have a smooth sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cranberry sauce, turkey, ham and sweetcorn. Divide between 4 individual pie dishes or individual casseroles.
- Shape the filo pastry toppings by scrunching each sheet up from the middle and then shaping with both hands. Place each scrunched sheet on top of each pie.
- Bake according to the packet instructions (usually 200C / 180Fan / GM 6) for about 15 mins until the filo is golden brown and the pie filling piping hot and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
More leftover turkey? Make my easy leftover roast turkey curry.