An easy, comforting indulgent recipe for a creamed pea soup – using store cupboard tinned peas, this will be sure to be a hit.
The humble pea soup is endlessly adaptable as well as being pleasurable, thick, creamy and comforting as well as being very easily made from store cupboard ingredients.
This version is indulgent even decadent with a good slosh of cream and is garnished with leftover Christmas or Thanksgiving turkey and crispy bacon lardons. In this recipe I’ve used Batchelors tinned Marrowfat “Bigga” peas – a frugal store cupboard ingredient at around 50p a can, that also counts towards your 5 a day. I was impressed by both the flavour and texture, they are perfect paired with cream and stock in this soup.
The soup would be perfect to eat a few days after Christmas, garnished with some leftover turkey and bacon, if you are vegetarian top with a few fried onions, or croutons instead. The soup also can be ready and on the table in under 15 minutes – making it perfect to serve to those unexpected guests, or family and friends who stay for longer than expected, over the festive period.
This would be ideal followed up with some of my healthy Coronation chicken but made with leftover turkey, or my leftover roast turkey biryani for a post Christmas or Thanksgiving lunch. And if you like using leftovers, try my Leftover Pasta Pate.
Easy Leftover Turkey Recipes
Here are some more ideas for using that leftover turkey – remember that you can also substitute turkey in any recipe that uses leftover chicken!
- Leftover turkey curry recipe
- Leftover turkey pasta bake
- Leftover turkey biryani
- Leftover turkey stuffed baked potatoes
- Leftover turkey pies
- Leftover turkey frittata
- Leftover turkey croquettes
- Leftover turkey slaw
Creamed Pea Soup with leftover turkey
- 20 g butter
- 1 small onion - peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
- 300 ml turkey of chicken stock
- 2 tins peas - I used Batchelors Marrowfat Bigga - drained and rinsed
- 100 ml double cream
- Pepper and salt to taste
- To garnish
- 50 g bacon lardons - or two rashers cooked until crispy
- 75 g cooked turkey - chopped
- Fresh herbs - chives or parsley - finely chopped
- Place the butter into a saucepan and allow to melt over a gentle heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent and starting to turn golden.
- Add the stock and the peas, reserving a few for garnish, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a jug blender or whizz with a stick blender until silky smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Return to the pan, add the cream and gently reheat to a simmer.
- Serve immediately, stirring in the turkey, and garnishing with the bacon, herbs, reserved peas and a little extra cream.
Recipe commissioned by Batchlors Peas. All opinions our own.